Pesos to Dollars/Euros

Rich One said:
Well obviously I misunderstood the AFIP regulations, why do people complain if they can purchase abroad on an arg debit card?, at the official rate, as long as they have a balance in pesos in the checking account. :confused:

I give up:)

it is expats that are leaving or want to convert their pesos into usd for saving, etc the ones who complain. Basically the ones that want the bills.

I also thought I'd read a few weeks ago about debit cards being shut down for transactions outside of Arg. Is the latest that only cash withdrawals on debit cards are prohibited and purchases on debit cards are ok?

anjuna11 said:
I also thought I'd read a few weeks ago about debit cards being shut down for transactions outside of Arg. Is the latest that only cash withdrawals on debit cards are prohibited and purchases on debit cards are ok?

I read the same thing.. and believe to be the case. But one OP claims to be able to currently purchase worldwide with an argentinian debit card.:confused:

I don't want to be argumentative...! ;)

Is the latest that only cash withdrawals on debit cards are prohibited and purchases on debit cards are ok?

that is correct, except you can still make cash withdrawals if you have a dollar account AND dollars in it - or euros or pounds or reais etc...

I read the same thing.. and believe to be the case. But one OP claims to be able to currently purchase worldwide with an argentinian debit card.

i don't claim it, i do it all the time.

mariposa said:
i don't claim it, i do it all the time.

mariposa, looks like Cristina was reading this thread. Not sure if this new 15% surcharge on foreign credit card transactions will apply to foreign debit card transactions as well.

If it does, you have 2 more days to do what you've been doing at the official rate.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1503848-...con-tarjeta-de-credito-tendran-recargo-del-15

Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/transla...eta-de-credito-tendran-recargo-del-15&act=url

anjuna11, hard to know from the article. they keep alternating between the term "tarjeta de credito" and "plastico". vamos a ver. but even a 15% surcharge is better than letting pesos rot in an argentine bank account.

but thanks for the reminder, i'll go to my local wine store tomorrow and buy a few cases!

Hey, I am not looking to spend any of the money on my argentine credit card as defeats the purpose of savings, I want to convert around 35,000 pesos to dollars or euros to stop my saving decreasing all the time, I want to get as good a rate as possible and obviously if I have to fly to Ireland or US to convert my savings just does'nt really make sence, but if so was considering telling AFIP I was moving home and just go home for 2 weeks but a lot of hassle to convert only this amount! Any other ideas or has anyone actually been to one of the boarders to do this?? But I have the feeling the boarder exchange houses will have sky high rates and will have to go as far away as possible to get better rates!

Andy Ireland said:
Hey, I am not looking to spend any of the money on my argentine credit card as defeats the purpose of savings, I want to convert around 35,000 pesos to dollars or euros to stop my saving decreasing all the time, I want to get as good a rate as possible and obviously if I have to fly to Ireland or US to convert my savings just does'nt really make sence, but if so was considering telling AFIP I was moving home and just go home for 2 weeks but a lot of hassle to convert only this amount! Any other ideas or has anyone actually been to one of the boarders to do this?? But I have the feeling the boarder exchange houses will have sky high rates and will have to go as far away as possible to get better rates!

No I have never been to the border to do this but I doubt you will get better than the 6.5 that is offered on Calle Florida. Why would anyone do it for less, given that 6.2-6.5 is as close to a free market rate as there is right now? Maybe you can find someone here that would transact privately at 6.3 or 6.4 and take out the exchange house spread...

Do you have access to Arg and Foreign broker accts? There may be securities you can purchase in pesos at the official rate and sell in dollars to effectively get close to the 4.6 rate. Gov has clamped down on some types of securities and I have not done this myself but have heard it is possible.

Another idea is PayPal transaction on your Arg CC/debit card and withdraw to a US bank acct (not sure if you have one of those). Have not done this myself, just an idea but you may get snagged by the cc/debit card rejecting the transaction or applying a 15% surcharge as announced today.

Also risky if PayPal can tell you are sending money to yourself (e.g. credit card name matches name on PayPal acct).

Back