Pesos To Dollars Official

fcoulombe

Registered
So in case that you haven't been following this forum, I've been fired http://baexpats.org/topic/33938-getting-fired/ recently and have received a few months of salary. At the same time, I'm losing my temporary residency as a consequence and who knows.. I might just get out of the country (or become "irregular").

Let's pretend that I'm getting out of the country and need to get rid of all those pesos...
Someone told me once that a tourist could change its pesos into dollars at the official rate if they were leaving the country.
Anyone knows if that's true and how does it work?

Any information will be appreciated.
cheers

I believe that in order to get the official rate on dollars for a tourist selling his or her pesos, you have to have changed at an official casa de cambio, have kept the receipts, and have everything in order when you go to do it. I could be wrong or thinking of how things were when they first started this crap, but I don't think you're going to have any joy on this one.

Also keep in mind (I'm pretty sure this is the case) that when changing money officially you have to present your passport. Your residency is tied to your passport and it will show that you weren't here as a tourist, but rather as a temporary resident.

The money was 100% legal. I have the recivo de sueldos for the 2 years that I've worked here and can show that my residency is expiring.

It doesn't make much sense to pay a crap load of money to someone if you re asking him to go back to his country and changing that money is impossible

Dollar ahorro doesn't sound like a valid option. My understanding is that it needs to stay at the bank for a year. My objective is to close the bank account due to the fact that if no money enters on a monthly basis, they charge you for it.

I believe that in order to get the official rate on dollars for a tourist selling his or her pesos, you have to have changed at an official casa de cambio, have kept the receipts, and have everything in order when you go to do it.

Tourists can't exchange pesos back to dollars/euros/whatever.

As a resident and having been en blanco, you should be able to buy what was 20% of your monthly salary (assuming you made more than 7200 a month) but yes, if you don't want to leave it a year, you'll pay a 20% tax on top of that IIRC.

Depending on how much money you're talking about, you realistically have 2 options for it (well 3 really).
1) Exchange to dollars on blue market. Yes, it sucks and your payout just lost 60% of its value but you will have dollars in hand.
2) If it's not that much money - look at buying some things that you can take and resell in home country where you'll make a profit. Leather goods, alpargatas, handcrafted silver items, etc.
3) Or take the few months salary, don't stress and enjoy it. Even with your residency change, you can easily stay 6 more months without breaking any law (90 days tourist, one extension). Eat, drink and be merry.

It doesn't make much sense to pay a crap load of money to someone if you re asking him to go back to his country and changing that money is impossible

PS - You have been living here a while yes? Things rarely make sense as you well know ;)

Reactions: ben
Tourists can't exchange pesos back to dollars/euros/whatever...

I know the actual ability to get dollars for pesos was not very likely, but legally one used to be able to do this, during the cepo. Has it changed or are you just referring to the near impossibility that the government would actually allow it? Or maybe I didn't understand that correctly to begin with?

Dollar ahorro doesn't sound like a valid option. My understanding is that it needs to stay at the bank for a year. My objective is to close the bank account due to the fact that if no money enters on a monthly basis, they charge you for it.

Wrong can withdraw inmediately paying 20 % tax at $11,070 rate today. Up to 2000 US per month

I doubt he can buy anything with dollar ahorro, since he is not employed anymore and afip is unusually fast in this case. Still we are talking probably about less than 400 dollars...

Friend that was fired and got quite a lot of pesos wanted to do the same, since she heard is possible. She confirmed that is possible with too much hassle and not at all by official rate, so she ended spending it all and some changed at Blue. She was lucky enough she could send the last ayuda familiar with last salary slip and that was all she could do.

Back