Phone issues in BsAs - Magic Jack, smart phones, etc.

Meri

Registered
Hi all,

1. Does anyone use Magic Jack to make/receive phone calls in BsAs? I just got it and it's working sucessfully for me in the US but I have to use the computer dial pad (the phone doesn't seem to work with it). Hoping to use my phone for work calls while there.

2. Smart phones - any insight into this arena? Iphones, Droid, etc? Is one brand better than another. I was reading you can buy data packages through Moviestar, etc?

3. If I don't end up getting a smart phone, my cell won't work with a SIM card unfortunately (it's not GSM compatible), where can I buy or rent a phone, buy minutes, etc.

Any inight is so appreciated - it's all soooo confusing!!

Meri

I actually use a magic jack and had no problems with it. It is great to keep in touch with my father who has never touched a computer in his life. Plus, I had a US number with it, so none of my family/friends got any charges for talking to me. The only thing I can recommend is that you make sure you have a good internet connection, because sometimes my calls would get dropped on my wifi (but then again my connection isn't the greatest).

I personally have an unlocked blackberry I brought from the US, but any Claro/Movistar etc.. stores will have phones and be able to get you minutes/plan. There are millions of them throughout the city. I have a pay as you go plan and I usually just buy minutes from a random kiosko, check to see if they have the movistar/claro sticker outside, and then ask for a tarjeta. Either they will give you a calling card where you call and type in the number, or they will do it themselves and you give them your phone number and they call it in for you.

I only use my cell phone to contact people here in BA so I don't know what rates are like if you are looking to use it to contact people while abroad, but the magic jack (or skype) is great for that.

Hope some of this helped!

Meri said:
2. Smart phones - any insight into this arena? Iphones, Droid, etc? Is one brand better than another. I was reading you can buy data packages through Moviestar, etc?

Two things you need to watch here: 1) it needs to be unlocked, and 2) it needs to support the right network frequencies.

ATT won't unlock the iPhone for you, no matter what. ATT and Tmobile (the two US GSM carriers) will provide unlock codes for most other phones, with some conditions. There are other ways to unlock most phones, but I've never messed with them, so I can't speak too much to them.

So it's really a matter of preference. Do you prefer the iPhone or Android? The iPhone has both quad band GSM and HSDPA, so you'll be golden for 2G/3G here. For any other phone, you'll want to look up what they support. Off the top of my head, I THINK movistar is 850/1900, but I can't remember exactly. Most phones you look at should support that for GSM, but watch your 3G bands if you're going to be using that a lot.

If you're on prepago, data with movistar costs $10 for 1 GB over 2 days. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, because you text a number to "activate" that data package. And if you forget to turn your data off after two days, well, oops. You'll eat through whatever money you have on your account pretty quickly.

[edit]
Although the iPhone4 only supports micoSIM, and I think some people have had problems getting those, no? I don't know...

You've already got some great advice above - and most of all I would say having a good internet connection is the key for any kind of voip telephony/etc. In my apartment here I'm on a 2 gig Fibertel cable modem connection and its great - reliability for my voip phone setup (I have two Australian phone numbers on voip and one on skype) is excellent and to be honest the only times I really have problems is when there is an issue with my voip provider back in Oz - that has only happened once so far (over the last few months)...

Re: Mobiles - I have my Android based HTC Desire which I use here with a pay as you go sim - I use internet on it when I am on wifi in the apartment or wifi out and about (cafes etc) but from what I've been told you only get the good data plans for the mobile when you have a regular mobile phone plan (not a pay as you go one) - I think you will need to have your DNI to get that in your name or you'll need to get someone who is a local who is prepared to let you put it in their name...

Hope this helps...

Back