Phone plans, insurance, and dentists

lucha54

Registered
Hey everyone,
I lived in BA from August-November of 2011, and now I'm back since a week ago and plan to stay for at least the year. I'm a 25 year old looking to get some casual work and otherwise enjoy the life with the help of some USD savings...

I am relatively new to the forums and I have a few questions about some long-termer issues... I thought it'd be better to give each question it's own thread but I think I'll save the space instead.

So here are some of my questions:

1) I want to get a phone plan because I pay too much with pay-as-you-go (at least 30 pesos/week, sometimes more). I plan to stay at least until Christmas 2012. I know these contracts are usually 12 months, but if I have to pay for a month or two that I don't end up using, I think it would still end up cheaper than what I'm doing now. What can you guys recommend? I have Claro pay-as-you-go and I heard you can keep the number. What is the easiest way for foreigners to go about getting cell phone contracts? Can I expect to pay 80-100pesos/month, for more value then I am getting now? I don't need data, just text and calls. In case this makes a difference in your suggestions, I'm here on a tourist visa only.

2) I have used travel insurance so far, which includes medical. But this is not very economical over the long term, especially if I stay mostly in BA, with only the occasional weekend trip or adventure to other parts of the continent. I don't mind paying out-of-pocket for GP visits and the occasional antibiotic Rx, but I need to get cover in case of a serious emergency. (i've heard of buying a membership at a private hospital-- thoughts?) I also want to cover my contents (electronics: Macbook, iPod Touch, simple snapshot camera) and I'm wondering if I should get a separate 'emergency' health plan and then individual contents insurance for these things. Or would you guys just recommend staying with travel insurance? I'm trying to cut costs but also 'be responsible'... any tips or suggestions?

3) I'm due for my bi-annual teeth cleaning. English-speaking dentist recommendations? (near Las Cañitas/Palermo area?) How much should I expect to pay for a standard teeth cleaning?

That's all my questions for now!! I'm glad that this community exists. Thanks in advance for any guidance or experiences you can share.
~Lucha

Hi Lucha!

Concerning the health insurance: you can just walk in to Hospital Aleman in Pueyrredon and get a health insurance within 20 min. You will pay about 500 peso per month. Teeth cleaning is included in the plant, no additional costs. You can go e.g. to Vanessa Davidson in Palermo. She is a very reliable Dentist.
You get immediatly a "provisoria" card from the hospital and about two month later you get a "definitiva" card, but you can use the medical services immediately.

I don`t know about the other Hospitals out there but I assume it is the same or a very similar procedure at Hospital Britanico, Italiano, OSDE etc. I just don`t have any pers. experience.

Good luck and welcome!

1) You need a DNI to get a phone plan or a friend with a DNI to sign you up for one. My recommedation is fill up your phone when they're having "2 for 1" promotions (ie, get a 30 peso card and you'll get 60 pesos worth of credit).

2) You can either sign up for a hospital (Aleman, Italiano, etc) or go with one of the private plans. Hospital plans are cheaper but you are tied to that hospital. For private plans, OSDE is probably the best but most expensive. Swiss Medical is another well known plan. Medicus has a very inexpensive plan if you sign up for the expat discount. You can sign up for any of them on a tourist visa. I assume you do realize that in the event of a serious medical emergency, you can be treated at a public hospital for free?
2a) No idea on your possesions - I think you would need to keep your travel insurance for that. I would evaluate if it's worth it or would be cheaper just to replace the things if something happens.

3) My dentist isn't English speaking but you can search the forum for dentist recommendations.

Thereandbackagain said:
Concerning the health insurance: you can just walk in to Hospital Aleman in Pueyrredon and get a health insurance within 20 min.

Seems like it.

citygirl said:
My recommedation is fill up your phone when they're having "2 for 1" promotions (ie, get a 30 peso card and you'll get 60 pesos worth of credit).

I've tried this and it never seems to work... Claro texts me with a promotion, says, "for more information, see terms and conditions on the website". I go to a kiosk, do a recharge, and never get the bonus. Anyone know what's up with that?

I use Movistar prepaid and the promo always works. I first get a text confirming the recharge for the original amount, and a few seconds later another one that says 'Your recharge comes with a promotion of ___ pesos, your new balance is ___ (double the amount)

If I changed to Movistar pay-as-you-go, can I transfer my number over from the Claro pay-as-you-go? I thought Movistar was more expensive but if the promotions actually work, then I could go for that.

Update on the dentist question- I just got a quote from an English-speaking dental clinic, 280 pesos for a standard teeth cleaning. For people who have been to a dentist here: is this a reasonable price?

Who all have phone plans here? How much are you paying for yr plans and how many minutes are you getting?

Back