Pine nuts

I've seen pignoli at Dietetica Natural Buenos Aires for many years. It's on Ayacucho 1365 and Juncal. The owner used to live in New York and appreciates the variety of food there so manages to get some rather difficult things to find in Buenos Aires.

You can buy pine nuts in Buenos Aires.
As mentioned before, the armenian stores on Scalabrini Ortiz usually have them.
Many Dieteticas sell them as well.

A lot of things are available in Buenos Aires if you really look.

Yes, I know pine nuts are available in several places. I was asking if anyone has ever found pine nuts from the Araucaria tree which is a tree native to Argentina and Chile. They are supposed to be very special. Perhaps someone in Patagonian South?

You can find pine nuts at New Garden. There are several branches throughout the city. wwwnewgarden.com I go to the branch on Talacahuano and they usually keep a small amount in the fridge. Have not checked lately though, but there has never been a problem finding some there in the past.

Araucaria nuts are known as piñones / piñon de araucaria. It's a seasonal product and since they are not produced commercially it's not very easy to find as you move away from the Andes. They are a staple for the native people, who toast, grind into flour and incorporate them in various ways in their cooking.
Your best bet is a dietética (New Garden, La Esquina de las Flores, Dietética Viamonte -http://www.dieteticaviamonte.com.ar/- etc.) or a specialty store.

Back