Piracy/ Intelectual Property

Regarding your question about watching movies in ba , or more specifically , NOT watching movies.
There are 2 series that i really like and would love to watch. PanAm and Homeland. They are available in thir websites , ABC.com and Showtime . But guess what ? I cant watch it because they dont allow it to play in argentina . Im guesing its because of the rampant piratry.
Ditto for some GREAT programs on PBS , like Nova and National Geographic.
So , you say Piracy hurts noone ? It hurts people with principles , like me .

jp said:
Big studios do fine. Even if their films get pirated from the second of release, they have lucrative merchandising, product placement and other commercial opportunities they can exploit.

They can factor in piracy into their model. Just like supermarkets factor in shoplifting into their model. Doesn't justify shoplifting though. And whilst shoplifting isn't such a huge problem for huge retailers, its crippling for small independents.

Same goes for piracy. Piracy makes it hard for smaller players to put a product out. They either have to beg for funding (invariably comes with strings attached), or they have to resort to making commercially appealing garbage in order to guarantee some form of revenue. Beg or sell out.

Ever wonder why so much content is insipid, uninspired commercial dross? Its because thats the model you fall back on when people decide they don't have to pay for quality content any more. People who just want to make a living off their ideas have to give up. All thats left are altruistic hobbyists and commercial crap, with precious little in between.

Have no solutions, and not trying to preachy. Just a shame really.

I work in the industry and i dont agree with anything you said.

There are good and bad movies, just like always.

Bebero , lets say you decide to go Chamame , and you get a band together , and you are the latest sensation. Tell me , how would you feel if you saw some mofo selling bootlegs of your music ? Kinda piss u pff that he is making the money on your back no ?
That is at least what I feel piracy is all about.
Stateside I used to sell hardware at computer shows. There were some assholes that had the biggest software displays. The sold NFRs ( not for resale) software suits. and they were the first ones to rationalize all was ok . Well , till the law decended on them like a cloud of locust........

Fabe said:
Regarding your question about watching movies in ba , or more specifically , NOT watching movies.
There are 2 series that i really like and would love to watch. PanAm and Homeland. They are available in thir websites , ABC.com and Showtime . But guess what ? I cant watch it because they dont allow it to play in argentina . Im guesing its because of the rampant piratry.

I don't get it. Why would it be because of piracy? If they offered them here, then you wouldn't have to go to cuevana or download it.

Fabe said:
:cool:You can not watch them not because of piracy but because of distribution rights and agreements:) (they can not allow you to watch the show before it airs on the local distributors station) but if you really want to watch them ;)BUY yourself as i did a legal vpn to the states (i use strongvpn) and then as your ip now is a usa one you can watch all the shows from hulu nbc fox abc cbs or whatever...piracy has nothing to do with your complaint...but if your issue was wanting to see stuff from the states and not complain i hope this helps:)

I mentioned that the evil of MS wasnt the topic we were debating here.
Id be verry interested in bibliographical citations for the quotes you posted atruibuatable( sp ) to Bill Gates.
This is what I feel that i see right away in people that justify stealing others peoples intelectual property . They want to avail themself of that produck by plainly STEALING it , but they dont want to be seen as a theif. Therefore , out roll the rationalizations.
Im not sayig MS is without sin ,theres a good chance ALL giant copanies are quite sinfull. But they arnt the reason nor the source of piracy.

ABC doesn't allow you to watch their content abroad due to licensing issues. The same goes for BBC iPlayer stuff outside of the UK. You can use a VPN or a proxy

I never cease to be amused by how much guys do you worry about big and filthy rich guys, while they see you all as replaceable slaves and couldn't give a shit if you all die

Big studios and software corps are doing just fine, with or without piracy

Open Source was more beneficial to the software business than anything else. Look at Freemium model. Magento, MailChimp, LinkedIn, SugarCRM are doing fine even with conversion rates averaging at about 2%! So, piracy caused revenue losses are just the hype of greedy creeps at Microsoft and the like. Free user base helped Evernote get a big chunk of funding money and evangelise the product

@Lee @Fabe Does it mean you gave up on the cultural content just to please the corporations, governments and content mafia?

oy dude , youve split your wig !. U actually think Im defending a corporation ? or a goverment ? or a mafia ? c'mon ! you are way off the path of what this debate is all about !

Back to the point. Im saying that would no write code nor offer any software producct here because of the rampant piracy. People would bootleg it , make a zillion copies , and i woud not get a penny. get the general idea ? Why would they do it ? because idecide on the price and they think that pice too expensive ? thats bung !. Its the most stupid excuse to steal I have ever heard ! And Im not talking about one fool doing it , im talking about the giant maffias that presently are involved in such practices !.

Back