Piracy/ Intelectual Property

Im gonna set up a clue factory and make a killing selling clues !!!! Geez . the premise of the debate is simple !

I tried to do the right thing and subscribed to Netflix when it first arrived here; Total waste of money (movies from the 80s --- wow!) and then it took multiple phone calls to cancel the horrid service.

Enterprise software, software-hardware-service combo, Freemium, the ways to go are plenty

No way you can make money on consumer software in Argentina. But, enterprise solutions do sell well. I've developed e-learning stuff for several institutions and ministries in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and it worked well

Is the topic of Piracy related to Microsoft windows in general?

I think it is.

Now, whether Microsoft is "evil" or not is not my question.
My question is...what OS are you running now on your computer?

Is it Win7? is it Mac? is it Linux?

What in your opinion is the most common OS in Argentina? XP? win7?

My point is that if you are running M$ Windows then most likely you'll be forced into pirating some of your software here. If you were running Linux you would most likely NEVER need to.

Thanks to the fact that there is only one dominant OS monopoly, an antitrust violator who has stagnated & regressed the market with it's obsession in maintaining its antiquated 'boxed CDs' biz model we are now, in this third world country, more likely have to pay very dearly for an office suit....the office suite that's been forced down people's throats thanks to M$'s corrupt stranglehold on all sections of the Info tech industry from hardware manufacturers who are controlled by M$'s windows licensing scheme to all types of application builders who count on M$'s approval before they are allowed to port their programs on to the M$ windows platform.

I ask again ...is the issue of piracy really not relevant to Microsoft in your point of view.

Or is it not permissible to talk about Microsoft's relevance in this thread?

Whether you feel it's relevant to this discussion or not, I think it is.

I'm certainly not defending PIRACY or "Evil" Micro$oft, sorry if pointing out M$'s shortcomings offends you, that's not my intention.

Fabe said:
I mentioned that the evil of MS wasnt the topic we were debating here.
Id be verry interested in bibliographical citations for the quotes you posted atruibuatable( sp ) to Bill Gates.
This is what I feel that i see right away in people that justify stealing others peoples intelectual property . They want to avail themself of that produck by plainly STEALING it , but they dont want to be seen as a theif. Therefore , out roll the rationalizations.
Im not sayig MS is without sin ,theres a good chance ALL giant copanies are quite sinfull. But they arnt the reason nor the source of piracy.

My opinion is that in a world where the general public has been duped into believing that they don't have a right to direct control of the code that controls their computers & therefore their personal information, the only light in the horizon against PIRACY is the GPL & the open source movement.

Is this in the self interest of Apple & Microsoft? Or their pet developers?

As we all may agree, when ever you develop a new technology, you need to give it time to mature & refine, this is the case with Operating systems & applications software ...so far until now, baby linux has been attacked & kicked in the head by MIcro$oft Corporation while we all looked the other way.

Should competition against the Monopoly be allowed?

Microsoft Sued Over Its Corruption in Switzerland, Microsoft Debt Revisited
http://techrights.org/2009/05/24/msft-corruption-in-switzerland/

New Counts of Antitrust Violation by Microsoft?
http://techrights.org/2009/05/14/antitrust-violations-by-microsoft/

Microsoft Uses Lobbyists to Attack Holland’s Migration to Free Software and Sort of Bribes South African Teachers Who Use Windows
http://techrights.org/2009/05/10/lobbyists-bribes-vs-free-sw/

Microsoft’s Allegedly Illegal US Procurement Gets Frozen After Lawsuit
http://techrights.org/2011/01/06/lawsuit-against-government/

I'm so grateful there's Android - A Debian Linux based OS that has survived & thrived.

to the person that asked how would i feel, i don't give a damn. i've seen my intellectual property countless times at the streets, on youtube, on torrent sites, on megaupload, etc. and i really don't care. i actually like that it's available to almost everyone.

Back