Place to buy a gown?

NJtoBsAs

Registered
I have a wedding in March for which I need to buy a long dress, (more like a gown rather than a maxi dress) and I will need to buy it here in Buenos Aires. I've looked around Alto Palermo and the Palermo boutiques a bit and have some options, but nothing I'm too crazy about.

Anyone have store recommendations? My upper limit is AR$800.

Thanks!

Did you try Veronica Far? I got a floor length dress there for a wedding in August -- they have prices starting from 500 pesos -- bear in mind that for 800 or less you won't get much construction etc, will be very simple, but they have some nice things.

I've also occasionally had luck in unexpected places -- I got a cocktail dress at Clara Ibarguren for 300 pesos etc. Zara occasionally comes up with some finds as well though needing long dress makes it harder.

Otherwise you might have luck finding something like a bustier + skirt to appear as a dress -- I think van Dameslaar or whatever it is called (about Honduras and gurruchaga or so) often has these options but I have no idea what their prices are.

Ciara in Palermo also usually has more economical options.

You can try Once or Avellaneda Avenue, in Floresta area. Here is common to have a seamstress to sew one, custom made, and it probably will cost half of your budget. I can recommend a good one who is in Palermo.

Yes Roxana is right, oh and I remembered one other place -- they sell out of an apartment in palermo hollywood -- all imported things from bebe etc, so more expensive than what they'd be in the states but not bad (and they actually list their prices on the net). Right now it doesn't look like they have much long in your price range but she gets new things pretty frequently so you could keep an eye on the site -- also if you send an email telling what you need she might be able to come up with some options:

http://www.wvestidos.com/W_Vestidos_Exclusivos/On_Sale.html

Veronica de la Canal on Las heras near Callao. similar to top designers like Galliano of Dior or Jean Paul Gaultier, Claude Montana, Versace, Alexander McQueen, Thierry Mugliere, etc. Expect to pay a lot ( 5000 and up). Best clothing store for designer wear in BA.

On the corner of Av. Corrientes & Ayacucho there is a gown store that sells mostly bridal dresses, however a neighbor told me she got a dress there for a Bar-mitzvah (not sure what is in fashion for that) and when I pass by there are always people inside. I just took notice the other day because I wondered where do people go in these long gowns, I never see anybody around in them and parties I have been to here are always somewhat informal.

darmanad said:
Veronica de la Canal on Las heras near Callao. similar to top designers like Galliano of Dior or Jean Paul Gaultier, Claude Montana, Versace, Alexander McQueen, Thierry Mugliere, etc. Expect to pay a lot ( 5000 and up). Best clothing store for designer wear in BA.

I think you missed her most important point -- upper limit is AR$800. -- you recommend that she go to a store and pay 5000.....

syngirl said:
I think you missed her most important point -- upper limit is AR$800. -- you recommend that she go to a store and pay 5000.....

Sorry, I stand corrected. My bad, missed that part about the upper limit.

ps. For a man I am "into" fashion and women's designer clothing (having lived with someone who worked in an upscale boutique). Veronica is a genius at designing and making clothes and anyone who can afford her, but doesn't know her, should check her store out.

Back