Plain, unsweetened yoghurt

nouveau

Registered
Does anyone know where to buy just plain, unsweetened natural yoghurt, preferably the set type rather than the runny one? Would love to make some chicken tikka and other Indian dishes that use yoghurt, but the only vaguely natural-looking yoghurt in the supermarkets (y griega, I think) still has sugar in it. Many thanks!

Plain unsweetened SanCor Yogs yogurt is available most of the time in supermarkets like Carrefour.

The sancor Yogs is a good one, as is the Dahi unsweetened plain yogurt--both can be found pretty much anywhere though the Dahi is a bit more uncommon. In the Arabic delis (like Confiterias Armenia or Damasco both on Scalabrini Ortiz) you can find yogur escurrido which is unsweetened and excellent for dishes like Tikka Masala.

That greek yogurt (relatively new appearane in Disco)--I tried it thinking it was unsweetened, but it was loaded with sugar! Yuck!

MizzMarr said:
That greek yogurt (relatively new appearane in Disco)--I tried it thinking it was unsweetened, but it was loaded with sugar! Yuck!

I have to put my hand up as another one fooled into buying the 'Greek' yogurt, the thought of sugar content never occurred to me until I was raising the spoon to my mouth, of course as the sweetness was registered by my nervous system it was all so obvious. This is nothing but yogurt flying a flag of convenience but I'm sure the Argies are loving it, the sweet taste of broadening one's cultural horizons.

You can find natural yoghurt in a health store Malabia and Guemes, by Malabia St. . They sell it in big bottles.

Your best option is your neighborhood Dietetica. Most sell yogurt in big glass bottles, whole milk with the white top and descremada (less fat) with the gold tops, I think (ask to be sure). Many Dieteticas have it, but not all.

I also shop at the store Gisel mentions on Malabia, between Guemes and Charcas, it's called Girasoles and they even do delivery. If you're interested in a lunch, they make some really great whole wheat sorrentinos de calabaza, mmmmm. I think they're 10 pesos, not sure. Great place.

Thank you so much, everyone - you are all stars! That's great to know, and I'll check out the suggestions given. Iqbal X

Back