Planning to start a Indian resturant in Buenos Aires

make it good, please.
i haven't tried any Indian restaurants in BA because everyone has warned me. I rather not throw away money (like i have done with sushi) and just not go to any Indian restaurant for now.
I usually wait until I go back to CAlifornia to eat all the Indian, Sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, etc

Mumbai in Palermo and Tandoor in Barrio Norte are both pretty decent Indian restaurants (by BA standards).

It's my understanding, though, that the insane rents on restaurants and the cost of importing the ingredients tend to drive the prices up to the high level we are seeing them. If you are seriously think about this, do your research and lots of it first!!

Agree with all the above.
I think if its done in the same way as it generally is in the UK (good food, reasonable prices) you will do really well...especially if you don't compromise on flavour/spice. I'm not sure how well you'll do with pricing though as a lot of raw ingredients here (basmati rice, for example) are more expensive than elsewhere but if you achieve it, I'm certain you'll acquire a dedicated expat following.
From what I've experienced at the Indian restaurants here, the food tastes like it's been frozen, it's also lacking in Spice and very expensive. In 2001 I used to go to Kathmandu all the time and order a bunch of stuff to share...all delicious (the place was generally empty). The last time I went (2005), prices had more than doubled, portion sizes had reduced and the food tasted watery.

I don't think the cost of importing ingredients is whats making Indian food expensive. I cook Indian food all the time here in BA. The ingredients are no more expensive than anything else here. India is a poor country and most of their food is made from inexpensive ingredients.

I don't know much about the rent part, however there are some reasonable priced restaurants in BA, I assume they are paying rent too.

I think there is a greed factor to ethnic food in BA more than anything...

I'm also very optimistic for your project. If the food is good, it will work for sure!

People here are ready to pay 100/150 pesos per person (with drinks) for good Indian food I guess.

When I'm in UK I always laugh at how the supermarket curries are way better than the ones served at Indian restaurants in Bs As. If someone could only find an affordable way to import those....

CarverFan said:
When I'm in UK I always laugh at how the supermarket curries are way better than the ones served at Indian restaurants in Bs As. If someone could only find an affordable way to import those....
I like the Uncle Bens yellow curry with veggies its so damn good!!! And cheap!! I am so getting a suitcase full of spices next month! Luckily we get visitors from the UK every 1-2 months :)

If you haven't already, read some of the threads about doing business in Argentina.

garygrunson said:
I don't think the cost of importing ingredients is whats making Indian food expensive. I cook Indian food all the time here in BA. The ingredients are no more expensive than anything else here. India is a poor country and most of their food is made from inexpensive ingredients.

I don't know much about the rent part, however there are some reasonable priced restaurants in BA, I assume they are paying rent too.

I think there is a greed factor to ethnic food in BA more than anything...

Costs of course and managing them are the most difficult part of running a business here. First rents are out of control, especially on comercial properties. Increases run the range of 20-30% per year. Salaries and payroll taxes are VERY high and then you have the issue of lawsuits and employees that can make life difficult for you. Small restaurants and retail businesses here that have lasted a long time generally have two things going for them: 1) They don't pay rent (they own the local comercial outright) 2) they have family members or business partners work in the business and keep payroll employees to a bare minimum. Larger businesses of course have more capital to work with and can better deal with overhead. Small businesses are difficult, but can be made to work, but you REALLY have to know what you are doing. Best of luck!

Back