Plastic straws banned in BA restaurants.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
I saw this first hand last Friday when I was with a fellow expat friend. After she ordered a soft drink the sales clerk behind the counter would't give the straw. She was informed that plastic straws were no longer available. I think its a good idea.
If you drink mate at home you can use the "bombilla" as a drinking straw. If you don't have one you can buy them at the local Super Chino or supermarket. The bottom part screws cut and ...Voila !!! you have a reusable straw.
Macri banned the plastic bags and now bans the plastic straws. Sr. Presidente .....Keep up the good work.

The plastic bag ban is extreme. They could just charge for plastic bags. Otherwise you have to buy one of those expensive cloth bags. Many times I want to buy a few things but don't have a bag. Extremely inconvenient.

The plastic bag ban is extreme. They could just charge for plastic bags. Otherwise you have to buy one of those expensive cloth bags. Many times I want to buy a few things but don't have a bag. Extremely inconvenient.

Extreme? Do you know how long plastic lasts? All the plastic ever made still exists on the planet and is destroying it. Beverage bottles are one-use plastic that is polluting the oceans. Haven't you heard about the dead whale that had tons of plastic in its belly?

Stores do charge for special bags (5 pesos) approved by the city in January 2017, Resolution 341/16. Black bags for food waste, and green bags for recyclables. My neighbors take out their garbage daily in unapproved plastic bags. I collect food waste for a minimum of 7 days until the black bag is completely full for disposal.

Expensive cloth bags? The city gives them away free of charge at various locations. I still use two of the first bags I received years ago. Go to one of the ferias de la ciudad or estaciones saludables and ask for one. They come in all sizes. They are washable and reusable.

Inconvenient? Live consciously. Plan ahead. Carry a folded bag in your pocket. Then you are reducing your carbon footprint and helping the environment. It may be another inconvenience, but taking all your glass, paper, plastic, etc. to one of the neighborhood recycling stations in the parks and plazas is a guarantee that your recyclables will get recycled, not dumped on a landfill in the provincia. I don't dispose of my recyclables at the corner yellow container; I walk four blocks to the plaza container where huge bags of sorted recyclables are hauled away every Wednesday afternoon.

One-use plastic must go. Other countries are way ahead of the USA and Argentina in banning plastic items. It has to be done or we will not have land on which to live when plastic takes over.

I discovered Stainless steel straws online and plan on asking friends in the UK to bring one for me when they visit in a few months. I've used the same plastic straw at home for over a year. I can't clean it inside without a brush. Stainless steel straws come with a brush and bag to take along. There are people doing something to curb the disaster caused by plastic straws.

Landfills in Buenos Aires
Garbage creates a new industry

Who wants to imagine living near one of the mountains of garbage? There are people who face that situation every day.

We have ten years for the world to get its act together or we will face the consequences.

Last edited:
What percentage do straws represent out of the insurmountable mountains of non-degradable polymers industry? 0.0000000000000001? Curious!

Really? Straws?

Reminds me of 2 shirtless guys commercial on CNN collecting money claiming they are cleaning THE OCEAN 7/24.

Last edited:
Hope the real Straw's may come back , so one can again ask for a "Pajita"...:)

Extreme? Do you know how long plastic lasts? All the plastic ever made still exists on the planet and is destroying it. Beverage bottles are one-use plastic that is polluting the oceans. Haven't you heard about the dead whale that had tons of plastic in its belly?

Stores do charge for special bags (5 pesos) approved by the city in January 2017, Resolution 341/16. Black bags for food waste, and green bags for recyclables. My neighbors take out their garbage daily in unapproved plastic bags. I collect food waste for a minimum of 7 days until the black bag is completely full for disposal.

Expensive cloth bags? The city gives them away free of charge at various locations. I still use two of the first bags I received years ago. Go to one of the ferias de la ciudad or estaciones saludables and ask for one. They come in all sizes. They are washable and reusable.

Inconvenient? Live consciously. Plan ahead. Carry a folded bag in your pocket. Then you are reducing your carbon footprint and helping the environment. It may be another inconvenience, but taking all your glass, paper, plastic, etc. to one of the neighborhood recycling stations in the parks and plazas is a guarantee that your recyclables will get recycled, not dumped on a landfill in the provincia. I don't dispose of my recyclables at the corner yellow container; I walk four blocks to the plaza container where huge bags of sorted recyclables are hauled away every Wednesday afternoon.

One-use plastic must go. Other countries are way ahead of the USA and Argentina in banning plastic items. It has to be done or we will not have land on which to live when plastic takes over.

I discovered Stainless steel straws online and plan on asking friends in the UK to bring one for me when they visit in a few months. I've used the same plastic straw at home for over a year. I can't clean it inside without a brush. Stainless steel straws come with a brush and bag to take along. There are people doing something to curb the disaster caused by plastic straws.

Landfills in Buenos Aires
Garbage creates a new industry

Who wants to imagine living near one of the mountains of garbage? There are people who face that situation every day.

We have ten years for the world to get its act together or we will face the consequences.
Yet as you walk along the streets here how many people do you see throw litter wherever they want? Cans, bottles, candy wrappers, you name it as it goes in the streets or sidewalks! The 10 or 12 years Doomsday clock has been reset for decades. You'll be saying 10 years decades from now.

not to mention, all the groups protesting this and that who throw all those f-ing papelitas in the streets

What percentage do straws represent out of the insurmountable mountains of non-degradable polymers industry? 0.0000000000000001? Curious!

Really? Straws?

Reminds me of 2 shirtless guys commercial on CNN collecting money claiming they are cleaning THE OCEAN 7/24.
Yes I know it doesn't sound like much, just a little straw. But in the US alone 500 million straws are used and discarded EVERY DAY. So if you multiply 500 million by 365 you get 182,500,000,000. That's a little over 182 Billion straws in the US alone.

If it is 0.0000000000000001 percent of the whole nightmare of polymers I wouldn´t build my hopes on "straws".

Neither am I sure that these 2 shirtless guys are going to CLEAN THE OCEAN.
(But I hear they are drowning in oceans of millions of dollars in donations).

Back