Please help: issues with landlady

No, luckily, I only paid one month, and I'm surely moving. My friend who is also my Spanish teacher is helping me find a place. The only problem I have to deal with is how to survive for the next ten days if the temperature doesn't go up. I measured it in the morning with a digital thermometer app - at 10.30 am I had 17 degrees inside and cold air flow from the window that doesn't close tight to the frame. Gooogle displayed exactly the same temp outside. At 8 am, when I woke up it felt much colder than that. It gets better at about 12 pm and same cold by 8 in the evening. I am a freelancer working from my laptop and very sensitive to cold (one of the reasons I left Russia) and I have to stay inside during the coldest morning hours for work and obviously the coldest night hours before bed. I'll try talking to her and if it doesn't help I guess the only solution for the remaining days is to buy a smaller heater and put it into the luggage bag that I keep empty in the closet when I'm outside, meanwhile using all the electric and water in the room and my bath as much as I need and some more, so she enjoys the amount on the bill she is saving on affter I'm out.
As far as problems with landlords in Argentina, yours is quite manageable. There are far worse problems lurking out there for foreigners involved in Buenos Aires real estate. Leave with the satisfaction that it's going to hurt her more than you. You may have spent a few uncomfortable days, but she now has a vacant room in the middle of low season.

No, luckily, I only paid one month, and I'm surely moving. My friend who is also my Spanish teacher is helping me find a place. The only problem I have to deal with is how to survive for the next ten days if the temperature doesn't go up. I measured it in the morning with a digital thermometer app - at 10.30 am I had 17 degrees inside and cold air flow from the window that doesn't close tight to the frame. Gooogle displayed exactly the same temp outside. At 8 am, when I woke up it felt much colder than that. It gets better at about 12 pm and same cold by 8 in the evening. I am a freelancer working from my laptop and very sensitive to cold (one of the reasons I left Russia) and I have to stay inside during the coldest morning hours for work and obviously the coldest night hours before bed. I'll try talking to her and if it doesn't help I guess the only solution for the remaining days is to buy a smaller heater and put it into the luggage bag that I keep empty in the closet when I'm outside, meanwhile using all the electric and water in the room and my bath as much as I need and some more, so she enjoys the amount on the bill she is saving on affter I'm out.
17 degrees is freezing? 0 is freezing, officially.

Lock your valuables somewhere and ask her what is she looking for in the drawer. You have a right to privacy.

17 degrees is what my thermostat is set to. It feels comfortable to me, but people have different cold/heat tolerances. Couldn't you wear an extra sweater?

Last edited:

wow this is such a first-world problem. i see kids digging through garbage to find stale bread and an old guy repairing old shoes on a street corner all sunday-long for virtually nothing while you are bitching about your slightly-uncomfortable condition, go back to switzerland or whatever nest you came from, jesus f*** christ.

wow this is such a first-world problem. i see kids digging through garbage to find stale bread and an old guy repairing old shoes on a street corner all sunday-long for virtually nothing while you are bitching about your slightly-uncomfortable condition, go back to switzerland or whatever nest you came from, jesus f*** christ.
That's not very nice fredrick.

Iri wrote....
I am a freelancer working from my laptop and very sensitive to cold (one of the reasons I left Russia) and I have to stay inside during the coldest morning hours for work and obviously the coldest night hours before bed.

The Science of How Temperature and Lighting Impact Our Productivity
https://buffer.com/resources/the-sc...erature-and-lighting-affects-our-productivity
.....Why are cold working environments so harmful for our productivity?
The last thing anyone thinks of when trying to get more done every day is to turn up your thermostat. And yet, that might just be the answer. If I think back, being in a cold environment is definitely one of the memories I remember myself the least productive.

And an awesome study from Cornell examined exactly that, coming to a frightening conclusion. They tested different office temperatures at a large Florida insurance company and this is what they found:
“When temperatures were low (68 degrees or 20 degrees Celsius) employees made 44% more mistakes than at optimal room temperature (77 degrees or 25 degrees Celsius).”

Now, the problem isn’t just that if you are cold you feel uncomfortable, the study points out. The problem is that you are distracted. If you are feeling cold, you are using a substantial amount of your energy to, well, keep warm. A lot less of your energy goes towards concentration, inspiration and focus. And yet, that’s not all......

fredinba....you are entitled to post your opinion but please keep it civil.

Last edited:
It would appear Fred believes he has a bigger right to be irritated by Irina’s post than she has for being cold. And to express said irritation.
Now, what were you saying about first world problems?

How about anger management?

Back