PLEASE HELP!! Looking for work and fast becoming disillusioned...

Hi anna,

I am no means an expert on employment in Buenos Aires but as someone who is also looking for a part time gig I thought I would chime in.

1) The fact that you speak virtually no Castellano will be in many ways very limiting in your job search. BAs is not like Panama or Costa Rica where on average bilingual english locals are much more prevalent.

2) You speak english and are not Argentine....so at the same time you are an asset. Mostly to expat employers who have their own business, such as a restaurant or bar that caters to tourists. English is valuable and paying foreigners under the table are typically more attractive to foreign employers than paying Argentines--paying a severance package to Argentines is standard practice here, where as if they let you go they owe you nothing....and I'm assuming you have no work visa, which means you have no labor rights to protect you.

I know everyone does this and might be cliche but....have you considered getting certified and teaching english? With certification I'm sure you can get regular work....though you won't get rich and might have a problem supporting yourself with just that if you have no savings. Also try and look out for NGOs looking out for assistants. Also go to expat bars/restaurant....try and frequent one or two so they get to know you....then ask the manager about doing part time work or something like that. Lastly, from time to time there are listings of customer service jobs on here.

But if you're strapped for cash...I'm not sure my "tips" will help you much. Job hunting anywhere takes time...don't get disillusioned, don't give up.

I really should take my own advice...

Hi Anna - what are you "good" for? What are your skills can you offer, if not much Spanish? What background do you come from etc etc. Email me some info, and i'll see if i can hook you up anywhere. [email protected] cheers

Are there opportunities out there for non-certified native English teachers? I mean conversation classes, stuff like that.

I'm uncertified. No one seems to care... I even teach at an Argentine government agency and they never asked. I met all my students through friends but if you are new and still making connections....maybe try putting up posters around schools or in neighborhoods less infiltrated by foreigners ?

Alilou, did you have any experience teaching before you came to Argentina? Or did you just jump in at the deep end? I plan to take a TEFL towards the end of the year but wouldn't mind gaining some experience first - maybe by giving some conversation classes.

I was a conversation assistant for the ESL program at my university. I highly recommend trying teaching out before taking a TEFL course. The course fees are ridiculous (I just googled it and the first rate I found was $1790 without accommodation)... it would take you months to earn that much as a teacher. I think if you are a native, you should just study the basics online. And a lot of students just want to talk... and have no desire to learn formal grammar. Although its not necessary, I like having a course book... I use Intelligent Business Upper Intermediate for all my adult students. I think its nice to have it as a guidelines. And the students take you more seriously! I just make sure I review the concepts in each chapter before class. If you still feel like you need the course at the end of the year, do it. I don't want to dissuade people from taking TEFL courses but I just want to let them know that it isn't always necessary.

I myself could be interested in taking private conversation classes, with some grammar/vocabulary lessons as needed.
I actually joined this forum looking for conversation exchanges, but later realised how hard is to coordinate my own time with others to have CONSISTENT training.
But since I'm paying, having a per-week arrangement is possible, right? :)

My background and current needs are almost 100% american english, but british may be a good option too.

Alilou said:
I'm uncertified. No one seems to care... I even teach at an Argentine government agency and they never asked. I met all my students through friends but if you are new and still making connections....maybe try putting up posters around schools or in neighborhoods less infiltrated by foreigners ?

Alilou...........you're probably right. I know that in Brazil no one cares if you're certified either. The fact that you're gringo is worth more and usually private lessons pay better than jobs at learning "institutes". I suspect the latter is where you need certification. I just suggested the certification only because I was unsure about how things work here. But your ideas are genial.

Back