PLEASE HELP!! Looking for work and fast becoming disillusioned...

I agree with everyone else. I've known plenty of people who teach English conversation classes without any real experience at all and seem to get by. A good place to look for customer services/teaching-type jobs for english-natives is Craigslist - You should probably advertise your services there too!

Anna, I have a small company here in Buenos Aires that deals almost 100% in English. Drop me an email at [email protected].

I think my Assistant/Jr Researcher is moving back to Brazil so I would have an opening asap.

Thanks!

Have you tried looking on Craigslist ? I know alot of expat business owners post ads there specifically for the purpose of finding American or English speaking workers.

Salaries aren't very high though. Most businesses here start you off at $ 2000 pesos a month. Unless of course it is a specialized trade, then you are looking at more.

Do you have any experience with children? I occasionally baby-sit as a side job, as some ex-pats/tourists prefer English-speaking childcare (or if you're willing to earn a local rate, there are also Argentines seeking English-speaking nannies.) That said, if you do work in childcare here, I'd recommend learning enough Spanish to communicate with locals in case of emergency. Craigslist is a great resource for finding work; just write an advertisement offering your services and see what comes through!

I'm an American native speaking English teacher here that teachers business English. It's not easy to get work as an English teacher. There's a lot of competition, the pay is very little, and you spend the day traveling around the city by bus or subway. Many people are willing to work for $25 pesos per hour which severely lowers the amount that serious English teachers can charge, thus damaging the market. Many employers require that you have monotributo in order to work so that you pay taxes. A good idea is to advertise in universities- you can put fliers up in the public universities or in the locutorios that surround the private universities-or you can advertise in the newspaper Buenos Aires Herald. Don't give up.

Back