Please Help - Old Dni - Trip To Us

Even if that were true, as a U.S. Citizen you can travel (leave)on your passport, as suggested, and re-enter as a tourist. But you might have to pay the online tourist reciprocity fee when you re-enter. I'd definately keep the booklet with you however. I'm thinking whether there could be issues with overstay fees at this end is all...

Interesting point, but I haven't heard (or seen) anything about losing permanent residency status as a result of not having the Nuevo DNI by the end of JUNE.

I don't think either the reciprocity or overstay fee can be applied to anyone with permanent residency.

I asked two Argentine friends (neither of whom have the Nuevo DNI) what will happen if they don't get theirs by the end of June. They both shrugged and said they weren't sure but both of them also said there would be no "serious" consequences..

It might not be possible to renew a driver's license or even use a credit card (in a store) with the old DNI at that point, but I can't see how it would affect leaving the country...or even reentering for that matter.

There are undoubtedly foreigners with permanent residency who are not in Argentina at this time and won't return before the end of June. I can't imagine them being denied reentry or even having to pay the reciprocity fee because they still have the old DNI.

PS: I was writing this while narluccia made the previous post. That's should settle the question, but I still wonder where muddy_helmet actually saw that he couldn't leave the country without the Neuevo DNI.

Both the migraciones.gov site indicates, and migraciones officials at EZE have told me, that permanent residents cannot leave Argentine borders without the new DNI effective June 30, 2015. I posted the link above.

Whether you are in possession of a new DNI or not, you are a permanent resident. It's extremely doubtful you'd have more than a few minutes' delay even with no DNI at all - your passport proves your identity, and as such your residency status. You ought to know your DNI number or have it handy, but that's it.

My first trip out of the country with a precaria, the guy in the airport checked the system, told me I'd already been approved for permanent residency, and wrote my DNI number into the stamp - first time I saw my number.

Not true. The deadline was extended to the end of June. There have been several threads discussing this.

Fine. That means those who couldn't find the time in 12 months to get the Nuevo DNI have another six months to do so.

Fine. That means those who couldn't find the time in 12 months to get the Nuevo DNI have another six months to do so.

Well, ma'am, I reckon that's now down to two months and four days...
emo32.gif

PS: Anyone who ever got a DNI before this "mandate" knows how overloaded the "system" of issuing DNI's has been at times. It wasn't "designed" to replace millions of old DNI's in such a short time span, but seems to be doing a fairly good job at accomplishing this goal.

I did not have to have an advance turno to apply for my new DNI, but it took lining up at 7:30 in the morning to get a turno (number 29) at 8:30, waiting another hour to getting a factura to pay the fee, walking several blocks to pay the fee, and then waiting three hours to have my fingerprints and photo taken.

If your son is under 18 and traveling with you they will stop you and maybe they will turn you away at the airport. Once you are a resident they do not care that you are a citizen of the US. If you are on AR soil they have the authority to make you abide as a resident. Just leave out of Montevideo and return via EZE. .

If your son is under 18 and traveling with you they will stop you and maybe they will turn you away at the airport. Once you are a resident they do not care that you are a citizen of the US. If you are on AR soil they have the authority to make you abide as a resident. Just leave out of Montevideo and return via EZE. .

If a permanent resident "cannot leave Argentine borders without the new DNI effective June 30, 2015" how are muddy_helmet and his son going to get to Montevideo?

I've read that the reciprocity fee only applies to airport arrivals, but doesn't this new requirement apply to all permanent residents leaving at any border crossing...or will it only be enforced at the airports?

Forgive me if I missed it. Are you traveling with your son's other parent? If not, you will definitely need permiso de viaje aka autorización de viaje (search these terms on the forum). You will not be let out of the country otherwise. This is a certainty. If you are all traveling togethe, then be sure to have the legalized birth certificate and for good measure your marriage certificate...and even better....Apostille/legalized if any documents are from another country.

I appreciate everyone's concern and input. I am very familiar with traveling alone with my son, and have done it many times. My problem, very specifically, is that migraciones officials and the migraciones website indicate it would be impossible for *me* to exit the country after June 30, without the new DNI. As I had to miss my appt on Friday, I now have no idea how to proceed. As a permanent resident the reciprocity fee does not apply to me, nor do I risk losing my residency. What's at risk would be getting turned away at the airport if I buy tickets, or, almost as bad, postponing the trip an entire year.

They will almost surely push back the "final-final" expiry date in July, but I'm not willing to wager two tickets on it. And I'm very weary of trying to beat the clock at this point, hoping that the new dni would get here before we'd be leaving.

Just leave out of Montevideo and return via EZE. .

Wouldn't I have the same problem? How would I leave argentina for uruguay on an invalid dni?

PS -- I really hope I'm mistaken, but I was told this when I left back in February by immigration at ezeiza airport. When I checked the migraciones site, the little they have implies the same.

Back