pollution in BA

tangojohn

Registered
I have made 9 trips to Buenos Aires over the last 6 years and 3 of the trips I have returned home with a respiratory infection. I am bothered by cigarette smoke and there seems to be a lot of pollution from the exhaust of cars and buses. I am considering moving here for a period of at least one year. Has anyone else experienced frequentcy in colds or respiratory infections? I know on my visits I push myself to see and do all I can and I wonder if I have just weakened my imune system. Generally my health is excellent.

Also I am single, age 52, male and I have met lots of expats younger than me. I am interested in also meeting people closer to my age and older.

Hi tj

They implemented a smoking ban a couple of year ago. It wasn't completely effective, but it made bars and restaurants generally nicer places to be. Microcentro can get pretty smoggy, but if you stay in the greener and leafier barrios you should be fine.

Keep in mind when you move to a foreign country you are breathing in a different set of viruses, ingesting different intestinal flora and your body will take a period of time to adjust. A lot of expats I have known have gotten sick upon arriving and then at several intervals afterwards within the 1st year. Some of the colds / flu / stomach viruses have been somewhat severe, however totally survivable. If your general health is good, you will get past this and your body will become immune to these bugs. If you plan to move here I recommend a full check up including bloodwork in your home country a few months before you move. Good luck!

tangojohn said:
I have made 9 trips to Buenos Aires over the last 6 years and 3 of the trips I have returned home with a respiratory infection. I am bothered by cigarette smoke and there seems to be a lot of pollution from the exhaust of cars and buses. I am considering moving here for a period of at least one year. Has anyone else experienced frequentcy in colds or respiratory infections? I know on my visits I push myself to see and do all I can and I wonder if I have just weakened my imune system. Generally my health is excellent.

Also I am single, age 52, male and I have met lots of expats younger than me. I am interested in also meeting people closer to my age and older.

I am older than you but I must say that I have never been very interested in meeting other wheezers, er, I mean geezers.

There are just too many beautiful young women here (the nicest ones are from Paraguay and Uruguay) to spend my time with someone hacking his lungs out.

I always get a respiratory infection when I get here...they call it farengitis or pharengitis. It's a bacterial infection so you have to take antibiotics. It generally lasts about 2 weeks and then I am good to go.

If you were willing to eat at places like the Grants Restaurants you might develop natual antibodies even faster, even though they have sneeze guards...over most of their food.

I never had asthma until I moved here in 2004. Since then I've had to go to the hospital several times for injections.
What can I say?
Now I take anti-allergy medicine every day, and stay at home as much as possible.
Just walking in the streets behind belching buses can make me sick.
It's something to consider.

I will tell you my secret and it works . I drink Raspberry or blueberry juice in huge qualities and it has cured my asthma . It is a tremendous anti-histamine. Try it and if you need to know details where to get contact me directly

pollution?!?!? which pollution?!?!?!
if you talk to portenos you will realize they don't even see it!
this drive me crazy but is true. I don't know about particular infection but i think you don't need to be a scientist to understand that black smoke clouds coming out from colectivos will hurt you.

Back