Portenos Keep Deposits

SPISurfer

Registered
Hmmm... from reading various threads it seems doubtful that we'll be getting our deposit back. We've rented for a couple of weeks and have the feeling that on our departure the landlord won't show. The landlord didn't even show on our arrival day. Some guy, not the landlord, in the building let us in and gave us the key.

Is not receiving the deposit back the norm? We just need to be prepared to eat it :mad: Thanks for any insight.

Did you rent directly from the owner or through an agency? Do you have a contract? Do you have a receipt for the deposit?

I have always rented direct from the owner and always gotten my deposit back in full. So no, not all landlords keep the deposits. But it certainly is helpful if you have a contract, receipts, etc.

As citygirl says, that is not very common AND actually you should have a written contract stating the deposit return conditions.
Even with verbal contracts you may have a case and force the landlord to just pay back before you go any further.

I don't understand some of you people... you keep saying how rotten and evil us argentinians are but you give money to people without a receipt, contract, anything??
You will get screwed in Argentina, Canada, England, Monaco and Vatican city (by the pope himself) with that way of doing business.

Renting from an argentine landlord AND from american landlord should be the same. Just dont put your asses up in the air.

billsfan : sorry but i've learned that a receipt + a contract mean nothing here. I had both and never got my deposit back. I could've seen a lawyer but it would have costed me the same price than the deposit, so I never got it back. And yes, I think most argentinian are evil (as you said) when it comes to money and foreigners.

If you're renting an apt directly from the owner - it's always a good idea to ask to speak to a former tenant. Just a tip..

it's not always possible though. In my case, former tenants were foreigners who had gone back to their country.

Yes but usually an owner will have an email address for former tenants if they were foreigners (esp if they rent their apts frequently.) It's not always possible but a lot of the time it is.

Again, I've had great luck here but I know many people haven't. I hope the OP gets his/her deposit back.

the law does allow, though you have to allow time for it, that you not leave the apartment until the landlord returns your deposit. That means you have to stay in the apartment, not leave, and if they call the police, tell them there is a rental dispute, the law favors tenants and the cops will tell the landlord to take it to court. If they have another renter who needs to move in, you staying means they'll have to return it to turn it over. Good luck...

Shouldn't the owner be the one asking for references ?

I think it's a great idea to ask for references, but you should also be prepared to give them as well.

citygirl said:
Yes but usually an owner will have an email address for former tenants if they were foreigners (esp if they rent their apts frequently.) It's not always possible but a lot of the time it is.

Again, I've had great luck here but I know many people haven't. I hope the OP gets his/her deposit back.

Back