Possible Solution to Dollars Crunch???

domthegreat

Registered
It just occurs to me that their might be alternatives to the need for dollars here. Maybe I am missing something here but...

Why can't Argentines just purchase other more stable currencies, such as the Real, or Euros instead of dollars? The blue rate dollar is higher than the euro...even though in the real world a euro is worth more than a dollar...

And why dont Argentines just go through the paper work of getting an account in Brazil and using that to keep their money?

Maybe there is a glaring mistake in my theory...but since no one has been able to tell me why one wouldn't be able to do that I am wondering if maybe it is indeed possible.

domthegreat said:
Maybe I am missing something here but...

Why can't Argentines just purchase other more stable currencies, such as the Real, or Euros instead of dollars? The blue rate dollar is higher than the euro...even though in the real world a euro is worth more than a dollar...

And why dont Argentines just go through the paper work of getting an account in Brazil and using that to keep their money?

Maybe there is a glaring mistake in my theory...but since no one has been able to tell me why one wouldn't be able to do that I am wondering if maybe it is indeed possible.

Yes you're missing quite a bit actually!

The ban isn't just against purchasing dollars, it's against purchasing all foreign currencies. Everyone just says dollars because the is the most popular currency to buy.

As for why Argentines don't open accounts in Brasil -- you're under the assumption that Brasil is easy to get to -- it's a lot further away and quite an expensive airplane. And most countries now don't just allow you to rock up and get a bank account unless you have residency there. The USA for one makes it extremely difficult these days, even for Canadians.

Some Argentines do have accounts in Uruguay, which is a much more reasonable trip than Brasil. And some have accounts abroad. But those who don't have the access to bank accounts abroad, and don't have the funds to travel regularly to places like Brasil, also don't have options to buy any foreign currencies at all.

And now migraciones is tracking the info for AFIP as to who is going in and out of the country. So if you buy a ticket to Europe and get approval to buy Euros, and then you don't go, you have to sell the Euros back to AFIP within 10 working days.

What is the Blue Rate for the Euro/Real....? you know?

Why Brazil instead of Uruguay?

Ok so I am not crazy...I had imagined that there was no way it could be that easy.

Regarding the brazil accounts though, being part of Mercosur dont Argentines have the ability to open an account there fairly easily? Or does Brazil make you have residency for sometime before you can get an account there?

Does AFIP grant more people the right to buy reals or euros than those looking to buy dollars? I have heard from many that even after they have proven they are going on vacation and all of that...they still get denied.

I'm convinced that those at the top derive some perverse pleasure in watching us ordinary folk jumping through hoops of their own making.
As if they want us to swallow some bitter pill that they are convinced will cure all our ills at some indefinite moment sometime in the far distant future.

expatinowncountry said:
Sold euros last week at 8 pesos per euro.

Wish I was paid in Euros....!!! jajaja Glad not to have a Rental Contract in Euros....ªª

syngirl said:
And now migraciones is tracking the info for AFIP as to who is going in and out of the country. So if you buy a ticket to Europe and get approval to buy Euros, and then you don't go, you have to sell the Euros back to AFIP within 10 working days.

Interesting.
Wow.

Back