Postal Service In Argentina

I never will use this sytem again, the last three letters mailed regular mail to California , none reached its destination :mad:

Yes, receiving things from outside of the country seems next to impossible.
But what about sending out packages from the country?
Anyone had any good experiences with that?
And which delivery company would you recommend?

DHL is my choice.... $50 USD minimum ...!!

I send parcels out of argentina all the time without any issues at all. They generally arrive in a couple of weeks.

Sending packages out of Argentina is no problem at all. Keep it under 2 kilos and ask for the "pequeno paquete certificado" service or "carta certificado" for letters, at your local post office. You will receive a tracking number with these services and the number can be used in the US on usps.com , Canada's postal website, as well as many other countries postal websites.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will tell them not to sent me anything and will sent nothing of importance home. You would think it wasn't too difficult to get a postal system correct. I presume people use private couriers if you want to ensure delivery.

Just to add my experience about normal Argentine post, sending parcels out with normal correo argentino is fine and has always worked for me. Receiving is a different matter. I always used my work address for things being sent to me (I work in an Embassy, people don't usually mess with mail to an embassy) I used to receive packages without a problem until my mum sent me a box with 3 maternity jerseys and some chocolates. That box completely disappeared. From that day on (10 years ago), anything sent in my name disappears completely. I even have to tell people sending me work documents that they can't put my name anywhere on the envelope otherwise it won't get to me.
I decided that my name must have ended up on a list of people who receive interesting goodies worth stealing, so they stop everything they see just in case there's something good in there.

When I first arrived in Argentina the postal service was state run as it is everywhere in the world, as far as I know. Then the state privatized it (was Macri the buyer? I forget) however it was not profitable. Correo Argentino was sold back to the state and they have since dramatically increased rates. Not a very convincing argument for state control of companies.

Anyone know how much a 2kg package costs to send out these days? and is 2kgs still the limit?

Around 400 ARS. You can check the prices on Correo Argentino's website.

I have had letters from the United States take 3 months to be received here. But I blame that on the IRS for not sending the mail first class. I have had letters that I sent to the USA returned to me 2 months after sending them with the addressee unknown. Items that were sent to me from the USA have been returned to the sender with address unknown. Sending items using the local postal system is not cheap (300 pesos for .5kg) and it is not reliable. But my advise would be to go to one of the main facilities.

Back