Powdered milk + other hiking foods

sgarlow

Registered
I'm headed down to Patagonia in a few days to do some hiking near Mount Fitz Roy and Torres del Paine. I haven't had to buy hiking food while here yet, so I have a couple of questions.

Do they sell powdered milk in the grocery stores and what is it called?
Does anyone know of any locations that have a particularly good selection of foods that are good for hiking (we're going out for 4-6 days at a time, so weight is a big issue).
Can you find dehydrated foods at any of these locations?

Thanks so much.

For anyone interested, this is what we're planning on doing:
http://www.stephandben.com/2012/02/patagonia-itinerary-in-pictures.html

Powered milk is Leche en Polvo by Serenisima or Sancor and you can buy them at just about every supermarket in the city, and I would imagine in the provinces as well.

As for the dehydrated foods or hiking food, I wouldn't have a clue.

The South American Explorers Club might be able to shed some light on that.

http://www.saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires/

If I am not mistaken, their office is located somewhere in San Telmo.

Well, they do sell instant mashed potato in the supermarket, as well as vitilina which is another instant food with vitamins added. Then there's packet soup. There are instant nestle baby cereals too.

Forgot to add instant chinese noodles (not cheap though, 1-2 dollars a piece depending whether you want packet or pot) and powder juice mix like Tang.

Mido is a powdered milk that is for babies. It is basically whole milk and very high in calories (what you are looking for).

They sell ramen a lot of places now but Chinatown has Korean and Japanese brands (that I am partial too).

Knorr has some rice dishes that are like Veggie sides in the States (don't know if you are American or not).

They have peanut butter in many huge supermarkets now. It is sometimes near the dulce de leche and sometimes near baking goods.

You can find snickers in many kioskos.

Unfortunately no refried bean flakes or tuna in pouches.

(This is the kind of stuff I eat on hikes).

You are going to have an amazing time. I have been hiking in El Chalten twice and I did the whole circuit (the W+ the back part) of Torre del Paines and both are amazing.

Chile is more expensive so bring your food for the trip from Argentina.

I'm in the same boat!
Does anyone know where to find dehydrated vegetables -or- quick cooking rice (5 mins or less)? Thanks!

Check in dieteticas. I've bought dried fruit, nuts, and some dehydrated vegetables for my hiking trips in them. If you are in BA, La Esquina de las Flores was the last place I stocked up.

I've never seen dehydrated ready made meals in Argentina. It might be a good small business for someone so inclined.

Id love to know where to buy chicken in pouches if anywhere here?

Back