Power adapters

patch

Registered
Can anyone let me know if it is cheaper to buy a power adapter from the US standard to Arg's standard in the states or there?

Most modern appliances (computers, phones, hair dryers etc...) work both on 110 and 220... their should be something written on your charger, or on the back/somewhere on the appliance... An adapter from 110 to 220..or the other way around..(the actual plug configuration) cost about 4 pesos here...That being said.. all the items brought with me were for phone, camera. lap-top and razor chargers...If you are talking about major appliances (dish washer, oven, plazma etc...) not sure... but "transformers" are quite a simple device... (really just a bundle of wires to absorb a bit of the extra zzzzz ) witch I am sure they produce localy in Argentina... most likely not too expensive...

Depends on what you are trying to do. You can get a coverter which is really for things like razors, etc. you only use once a day. If you have say a tv or some other major appliance you need to get a transformer which you can buy in Argentina. Transformers are sized in watts. To calculate the watts of a particular appliance the formula is Amps x voltage = watts(i.e. an appliance that takes 5 amps would need approximately a 600 watt transformer 5 amps X 110 volts = 550 watts).
You can buy individual transformers for each appliance or buy one big one and have your house or apartment wired to run 110. I did that once there as I had a bunch of stuff from the states. You just need to make sure you know which outlets are 110 versus 220 if you do this.

Oh and make sure that your converter supports 220v 50 Hz to 110v 60Hz. Not all 220v and 110v are equal. Last thing you'd want is your equipment to be zapped here.

thank you all! I almost went to a radioshack where they prey on people like myself.

Depends on what you are trying to do. You can get a coverter which is really for things like razors, etc. you only use once a day. If you have say a tv or some other major appliance you need to get a transformer which you can buy in Argentina. Transformers are sized in watts. To calculate the watts of a particular appliance the formula is Amps x voltage = watts(i.e. an appliance that takes 5 amps would need approximately a 600 watt transformer 5 amps X 110 volts = 550 watts).
You can buy individual transformers for each appliance or buy one big one and have your house or apartment wired to run 110. I did that once there as I had a bunch of stuff from the states. You just need to make sure you know which outlets are 110 versus 220 if you do this.
Hey I came across your response looking for a pretty specific answer. My wife and I are going to eventually wire the house for 110v, but I wondered if you had any issues with the frequency difference? 50hz vs 60hz to be specific.

I have some audio equipment - a pre amplifier and a tube compressor - that I planned on running off 110v with a transformer, but I realized that there's a different frequency than what the equipment was specifically made for, but haven't been able to find any information from the manufactureres.

In general, I know that motors run 20% slower and therefore can burn out faster of time, but I haven't been able to find any concrete information about electronic circuits.

Have you come across anything like this?

Thanks!
Devin

contact ebay and look for ; Voltage & frequency Converter from 120V and 60HZ to 220 Volt 50HZ MAX 300 WATT runs like $85 bucks.

Also Amazon

Last edited:
thank you all! I almost went to a radioshack where they prey on people like myself.
Choose one from Amazon or BestBuy. Radio Shack is already closed in many states.

contact ebay and look for ; Voltage & frequency Converter from 120V and 60HZ to 220 Volt 50HZ MAX 300 WATT runs like $85 bucks.

Also Amazon
Hi Rich. Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately Frequency Converters are much much more expensive than Voltage Transformers. We have a 2000W voltage transformer already, but the frequency converters run in the several hundreds of dollars.

I have already run my power tools intermittently off of 110v / 50Hz - the motor runs 20% slower and can build up heat over continued use potentially destroying the motor, but for infrequent use there's usually no problem. My question has more to do with audio recording equipment, specifically a solid-state preamp and a tube compressor. Both are somewhat rare items and don't state any preferred frequency on the back panels.

I've done some research previously for frequency converters and have found some that would be suitable for the whole house, but for several thousand dollars due to Wattage necessities, but here's something I found quickly on Amazon: U$D 750

Back