prices on my street went up 20% this week

Just got an order delivered and because I was curious, compared what I paid to what the prices were on the latest menu I had.

From the last menu (which I probably got late November/early December) the price for what I ordered was 38 pesos. Today it was 51. 35% increase.

Welcome to life in Argentina.

Re Falabella, I bought this as it was cheaper than any on Mercadolibre or other sites I found. At the time it was a decent price. Don't know about the rest of their stuff...

omg what are some practical solutions for dealing with this?!?!? other than asking my employer for constant raises.

feel free to tell me to search other threads on this one lol, i won't be remotely offended. i'm sure there are many on this which i will be poring over shortly...

Some unions that have a lot of clout get big pay rises, not everyone is covered by unions or able to negotiate salary increase with the frequency of the truckers union, for example. For the rest of us earning pesos, even what was a good wage is becoming more difficult to live on. Especially the groceries, especially having to bite the bullet and buy the damn food anyway cos I´ve got 3 kids to feed......... end of rant. My advice, get used to it and don´t let it stress you out too much, otherwise a month from now you´ll just be a ball of nerves.

dennisr said:
And the winner is .... Argentina. What are they thinking?

Redistributing wealth downwards and some social engineering. I can understand why they do it, it just sucks to be caught at the short end..

jrockstar80 said:
i'm not an economist, but i don't get how this helps... is it that we can assume going forward that dollars will be able to purchase more and more pesos (i.e. the exchange rate is 4 pesos to 1 dollar now, but soon it will be 5 pesos to 1 dollar)? that seems like a risky assumption, albeit one borne out by recent data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_exchange_rates_of_Argentine_currency

well, I'm not an economist either, but yeah it would essentially mean that your salary is stable and has more purchasing power (assuming that there's not a crash! there is always a risk). This is what I negotiated at my last job, and it *helped* against the lack of regular annual raises at my company, but ultimately with all the inflation I ended up making "less" after two years and two raises than I did at my 90 day first pay bump. CRAZY. Good thing I was making a good (for here) salary!

Back