prices on my street went up 20% this week

jrockstar80

Registered
i kid you not. empanadas that were $3 are now $3.50. a docena de facturas that was $15 is now $18. how often does this happen???

...often of late. Many things in my area went up 20% last week.

Roxana said:
Since the 70s, as well as I remember.

LOL roxana, that definitely helps me keep things in perspective...

but seriously... i'm thinking about job offers here, in which i'll be paid in pesos... do prices really go up that much and without warning, and if so, how often?

LOL????? It is a horrible reality!!

There are more and more new poor people. The quality of life goes down, for instance, in 2001 with ARG$100 you were able to get the cart at the supermarket full of food, now, with the same money you might get two bags!!

I am not an experts in economics, but inflation is a trend that affects everyday's life of the average people.

You are absolutely right, earning in pesos, is not the best bet you can make!

prices go up constantly and without warning.

Here is a website that's a good indicator and it's kept up to date: http://www.inflacionverdadera.com/

If I were you, and if it's at all possible, I'd negotiate a salary based in a currency you're more comfortable in (euros, dollars) and then get paid whatever the daily rate is in pesos. Not all places are willing to do that, but some are.

Roxana said:
LOL????? It is a horrible reality!!

i didn't mean to be insensitive, sorry if that's what it seemed like. really the same thing is happening in the US with regard to the elimination of the middle class - my wages in the US were stagnant for about 8 years and they purchased less every year - for instance my first apt was priced at $715 US/mo and the same apt now rents for $990 US/mo according to the mgmt company's website.

i guess what i was pointing out is the fact that prices here can go up 20% in one week to me, as an american at least, is so absurd it's almost funny. however, i totally get that this affects real people who live here, because soon, i might be one of them...

MizzMarr said:
If I were you, and if it's at all possible, I'd negotiate a salary based in a currency you're more comfortable in (euros, dollars) and then get paid whatever the daily rate is in pesos. Not all places are willing to do that, but some are.

i'm not an economist, but i don't get how this helps... is it that we can assume going forward that dollars will be able to purchase more and more pesos (i.e. the exchange rate is 4 pesos to 1 dollar now, but soon it will be 5 pesos to 1 dollar)? that seems like a risky assumption, albeit one borne out by recent data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_exchange_rates_of_Argentine_currency

I bought a home-gym from Falabella 2 years ago for 1899 pesos....I checked the price yesterday and it is now 3699 pesos!!! Exactly the same model.

Thats more on a comment on falabella and their stupid prices though.

Inflation goes up at an alarming rate, but so do a lot of salaries. Labour unions mandate 20-30% wage rises each year for union members, so for many people - salary tracks inflation and then some.

Back