prices on my street went up 20% this week

gsi16386 said:
One of my FAVORITE places to eat is Siga La Vaca in Puerto Madero and I used to pay 65 pesos for a meal. I came back from the States in January and they are now charging 85 pesos for the same meal!!?? I mean, how can you explain that? A 30% markup!! Other things are going up too such as my health insurance, expensas, gastos, todos....and Again, this is just UNEXPLAINABLE...

I've only eaten there once, in 2008. It was 55 pesos.

I can't explain it either. It actually gets on my nerves. It makes me feel people are just ripping each other off. I know that's not it, but that's how I feel.

perry said:
I work in property as many know here but I am planning my escape hatch at the moment to a very small town in Patagonia away from Buenos Aires and the worlds problems.

Keeping fiat currencies now is playing with fire . Use the monies NOW buy land , buy gold silver and one years supply of food . Prices for food will double in 2011 and inflation of 30 % will seem like the good old days.

There are two 25 x 50 meter (side by side) building lots (bordered by trees) for sale near my house (2 KM from the Atlantic coast and 8 KM from a economically stable (naval base) town pop. 75,000). The land here is ideal for growing food, raising chickens, and hunkering down while the rest of the world deals with the chaos. The soil here is fantastic and so is the weather (two cold winter months but no snow). I've planted orange, apple, peach, pear, and lemon trees since my arrival. I just went out to the "orchard" and picked my first apple.:)

A lot in the "village" four blocks from my location just sold for $20 USD per mtr2. The lots near me are presently $16 USD per mtr2 but that price could increase by 20-30% depending on what happens to the price of one commodity (not a metal) and the dollar to euro exchange rate. The man who built my house thinks it's still possible to build with cement and bricks for about $600 pesos per meter. His estimate was based on the cost of materials six months ago, but since then those prices haven't increased nearly as much as food.;)

steveinbsas said:
but since then those prices haven't increased nearly as much as food.;)

food is the killer, right? i can figure out how to make my budget here work in every way except for food...

jrockstar80 said:
food is the killer, right? i can figure out how to make my budget here work in every way except for food...

It's not *quite* as bad as it sounds. Just eat at home. Cooking at home, even with relatively expensive imported food items, is a LOT more economical than going out to restaurants. You can always eat and then go out later and save a bundle, save dining out for special occasions.

Yes, definitely eating at home.

Pizza in Restaurant/Delivery - about 45 pesos
Frozen Pizza - 25 pesos
Make your own pizza (and you can even buy premade crust) - about 13 pesos.

I worry about the social situation in this country. For me the prices are still cheaper or almost the same compared to Europe. But for the people here living on peso income it is worse. If inflation goes on like this it will not lead to anything good. Hyperinflation is something we do not need here again, but in my impression the government does not really care.

As inflation accelerates the exchange rate of foreign currencies,e.g., US$, euro, GB pound, will increase exponentionally. By the end of of 2011, the US$ will be between 5-6.

Can't say I agree with the buy gold advice given here. If there is an economic meltdown its going to be deflationary not inflationary. The value of gold and silver are just another overvalued(at this time) commodity. This is just another bubble waiting to pop. My belief people investing in gold today will not see it maintain its purchasing power and will certainly lose a good portion of their investment.

jrockstar80 said:
I'm spending two weeks in the US and currently in New Orleans. Eating out here pricewise is generally the same in BA, and sometimes cheaper. Of course just about everything else is more expensive, and often way more expensive.

And, the food is much better and love the live music scene.

Back