Probably THE question right now: How to get rid of pesos?

zug

Registered
Hey,

I'm a US citizen in BsAs for 6 months. I'm looking at all the crazy restrictions on getting rid of pesos and wondering if it's even possible anymore.

My best guess was to have a local with a paypal account send me money internationally, but I'm not even 100% sure that would working given all the paypal restrictions. I've also heard that you can buy dollars in montevideo, but not at any rates you want to pay.

Thoughts?

zug said:
Hey,

I'm a US citizen in BsAs for 6 months. I'm looking at all the crazy restrictions on getting rid of pesos and wondering if it's even possible anymore.

My best guess was to have a local with a paypal account send me money internationally, but I'm not even 100% sure that would working given all the paypal restrictions. I've also heard that you can buy dollars in montevideo, but not at any rates you want to pay.

Thoughts?
Sell them to friends, at a rate that benfits you both, but dont expect to get the goverment rate. I would think around 6.30 be fair as that is what the Blue market is around, if you had to sell them to a Cuev, or in Uraguay I would think you would be lucky to get below 7.

You would be able to exchange pesos for dollars around the blue rate? If you expect to exchange the pesos for dollars at the official rate, then yes, I guess it is difficult.

Is paypal an option? My wife has a few US$ that she needs to convert from her Argentinean Paypal account into Pesos... we were offered 6 to 1 rate, but I guess we can work something out, doesn't need to be 6. Let me know!

In my humble opinion the only real option is to buy blue dollars with your pesos. There is really only one exchange rate that is available for a majority of the population of Argentina and that is the blue dollar rate. I think that you are going to get a better rate for pesos inside of Argentina than you will anywhere outside of the country.

Desde2008 said:
I think that you are going to get a better rate for pesos inside of Argentina than you will anywhere outside of the country.

That part is 100% true, I got first hand knowledge of some countries in the region exchanging at 7.5+ AR$ to 1 US$ (i.e. Paraguay), Uruguay is the best AFAIK at 6.5 / 6.75 last I went there. Leaving the country with pesos is suicide.

Blue rate is what you'll get. In my business we have lots of tourists leaving and wanting to pay for services by dumping their Pesos. We take Dollars or Pesos at 6:1. If they complain we just point to the nearest casa cambio. They come back and pay 6:1. Pesos outside of Argentina is pretty much toilet paper.

Either that or go buy stuff with your last Pesos.

Okay. Thanks for the info, everyone. Looks like only exchanging what I need will be the way to go.

Back