Problems with re entry?

nev55

Registered
Has anyone had problems re-entering the country after doing the 90 tourist visa renewal multiple times?

I've read some of the other threads but am looking for more recent information/experiences. I've been going to uruguay every 90 days over the past ten months and now have many stamps.

On my last trip returning from carmelo the customs agent gave me a hard time, said what I was doing was illegal and told me it was the last time I could leave and come back in.

I was planning on flying to the states for a few weeks in december and returning in January. I'm now wondering if I will be denied entrance or just be charged a fee? Most people tell me that I shouldn't worry but I'm not sure I want to risk leaving a lot of my belongings here if I might not be able to get back into the country.

I've heard they are starting to enforce tourist visa violations more strictly, any truth or did I just get unlucky?

Thanks

A new freshly minted US passport would not have any Argentine Immigration stamps in it.
“I don’t know how it happened :confused:.... The dog chew it up.... I lost it....:eek: It fell into the wet gutter as I was getting out of a taxi on 42nd street..... all the pages are falling out”. A lot of bad things can happen to a passport that needs to be replaced.
And yes your arrivals and exits will probably be in an Argentine Immigration computer somewhere but they will not be big glaring stamps in your fresh new passport.
A few hundred dollar$ for an expedited passport and no more worries for a while.:D

nev55 said:
I've read some of the other threads but am looking for more recent information/experiences. I've been going to uruguay every 90 days over the past ten months and now have many stamps.

On my last trip returning from carmelo the customs agent gave me a hard time, said what I was doing was illegal and told me it was the last time I could leave and come back in.

I know you were looking for "more recent information" and the last post in this thread is almost a year old, but I think anyone in your situation will find it interesting:

Preparing to go to colonia for 7th time! Eek!!

Not much seems to have changed since then, including the fact that many "perma-tourists" continue to make the "90 day run" to Colonia inspite of the fact that, as Bajo_cero2 emphasised, it does more harm than good. Thanks to Cristian's posts and everything else I've read on the subject I'm convinced that it never did any good in the first place.

Once you've been in Argentina for a year you can start the citizenship process. You should then be able to get a paper from the judge that would make it possible for you to leave and reenter without a problem. I suggest you contact Bajo_cero2 for more information. The link to his website appears below all of his posts.

The newly minted passport idea is not a bad one. In fact, I did this because mine had expired and had to get a new one. Also, it seems that in my particular experience the key was doing this in the States and not here at the embassy. Upon returning I certainly received less scrutiny. That is, I suddenly found less questions being asked of me. That's not say that it isn't all linked in their system, but at least in my case it seemed to work in my favor.

Thanks for the responses. Think I'll look into starting the citizenship or dni process if only to have something to tell immigration if they give me problems coming back into the country.

nev55 said:
Thanks for the responses. Think I'll look into starting the citizenship or dni process if only to have something to tell immigration if they give me problems coming back into the country.

You may not have a problem, but you also might need to be very precise if you want to have "something to tell" migraciones when you return...and some paperwork to prove it.

Back