Punta del Este or Montevideo/Colonia?

sagehen

Registered
Hi all,

My husband and I are looking to do a mini trip over the Thanksgiving holiday (he will have a 4 day weekend). He got a recommendation from a friend back home to go to Punta del Este. In the research I have done, it sounds like not much is open in late November (even some restaurants), and the water isn't particularly warm to swim in at that time. Because we aren't big into the club scene, is there any reason to go here as opposed to Montevideo or Colonia?

I was thinking of a 2 day Montevideo/ 2 day Colonia trip instead. Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!
:)

Punta del Este is really a poor destination out of late December/January. Even in high season it only serves if you want to flash some cash and be seen.

Instead hire a car from Montevideo and drive up to Cabo Polonia, take lunch there (or pass the night if that is your thing) and then head up to Punta del Diablo. From here you can go swimming/surfing beach walks, sea lion spotting (best though at Cabo Polonia), see an old Spanish fortress, go to the Brazilian border for some cheap shopping, there are national parks to visit and you could even do a night at an estancia; all close by and do-able in 4 days (we usually pass Easter here)

Use this portal for accommodation

All the international hire car companies in Montevideo offer good rates.

Really, Punta de Este is horrible in comparison to what's on offer, Montevideo can be a little slow.

Colonia de Sacremento? is a lovely town but there is no need to spend more than a day trip there. If you choose to go here, try and combine it with an Estancia stay.

Neither? 2 days in each Montevideo/Colonia is a long time. Personally I do not like Punta del Este, but it depends on your tastes (think a bit of a broken down Miami 1980s vibe--it's a "status" getaway for a lot of Argentines in Dec/Jan and they go to see and be seen, party and flash around cash, as I understand it). If you've never been you may enjoy, but alternate suggestions would be to go to Salto, Uruguay for the hotsprings (this place is very nice, if a little pricey: http://www.posadasigloxix.com.uy/). It's low key, but it's a lot of fun to enjoy the springs at night and rent a moto and cruise around during the day. The northern beach towns in Uruguay are also recommended (Punto del Diablo, as rrptownley suggested, is great, and personally I really love Cabo).

I did Montevideo->Atlantida->Piriapolis->Punta del Este. PdE was my least favorite of these places, but the surroundings were interesting. 4 days should be enough.

I think that places like Punta del Diablo or Cabo Polonio may be more interesting, but I would reserve more time for a trip like that.

I agree that Punta del Este outside of right before Christmas until the middle of February is fairly dead. I'll disagree with some of the others however. I like Punta. I think it's a beautiful city. I owned a house there up until 2 years ago. I really enjoyed it. Even out of season I guess I really enjoyed it because it was a good escape from the noise, hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires. Clean air and nice walking on the beach in La Barra or Jose Ignacio. Don't get me wrong...I could never live there year round. I just find Uruguay too boring.

The water is too cold there even in the summer but it's a nice town. But will be totally dead when you go. When I was a bachelor I really liked going during high season... Tons of models, tons of parties, tons of action, tons of models (did I repeat that?). ha ha.

But then after I got married and had kids I dreaded the high season as there is too much traffic. Oh how your priorities change in life....

The drive from Montevideo to Punta is easy. I'd just take my car over from BA to Montevideo via Buquebus and drive over to Punta. Easy trip with not any traffic. Just make sure to drive with your headlights on as it's required there.

Have a great trip.

Thanks so much everyone...we have decided not to go to PdE but explore the other options you suggested above. Thanks again!!! I knew I could count on you ;)

Cabo is a must... the whole east coast is so much better then the south.

rrptownley said:
Instead hire a car from Montevideo and drive up to Cabo Polonia, take lunch there (or pass the night if that is your thing) and then head up to Punta del Diablo. From here you can go swimming/surfing beach walks, sea lion spotting (best though at Cabo Polonia), see an old Spanish fortress, go to the Brazilian border for some cheap shopping, there are national parks to visit and you could even do a night at an estancia; all close by and do-able in 4 days (we usually pass Easter here)

All the international hire car companies in Montevideo offer good rates.

Really, Punta de Este is horrible in comparison to what's on offer, Montevideo can be a little slow.

Colonia de Sacremento? is a lovely town but there is no need to spend more than a day trip there. If you choose to go here, try and combine it with an Estancia stay.

What in the hell has happened to your English? The queen would mortified!!

"Pass" Easter? At least you corrected yourself later and used "spend".

And "Take" lunch?

Before long you're going to need to pay me for TEFL classes. :p

PS- "international hire car companies"... This may be the queen's English, but the queen has never "rented" a car in her life. It just seems like a mouthful. But your recommendations are spot on. I mean, who would go to PdE in early December? I mean REALLY!! ;)

Rad said:
I did Montevideo->Atlantida->Piriapolis->Punta del Este. PdE was my least favorite of these places, but the surroundings were interesting. 4 days should be enough.

I think that places like Punta del Diablo or Cabo Polonio may be more interesting, but I would reserve more time for a trip like that.

Four days is enough time to do both Punta del Diablo and Cabo Polonio. If you're taking public transit though, you'll have to leave BsAs at midnight if you want to get into Punta del Diablo in the afternoon. If you leave in ther morning you won't get there til the evening, which is a whole day wasted on traveling in boat/bus...

Back