Quality Argentine Products

How many of the non luxury models could make a trip across argentina without falling into a pozo never to be seen again?

I want to get something so wife and I can travel around argentina. I want something that can get out of it's own way and take a pothole without exploding. Am I only looking at SW4 or hilux here? If I buy a hilux truck is that a luxury car?
Well we were not looking into trucks and tanks. But probably the only below the luxury tax threshold is the ford ranger:

I have a couple of friends who have Brazilian made Ford Ecosport SUVs- and they seem pretty decent. One is a birdwatcher who spent 40 years driving rough in Missiones- she is no dainty driver.
The other, we took a trip with another couple at New Years down to Reta, on Ruta 3. It was a reasonable performer with 4 people and luggage- its certainly no V8 Audi, but you see a lot of them out in the Provincia. But if you are going on smaller roads, which are almost always dirt and gravel, you probably do want a 4WD pickup like an Amarok or a HiLux- both of which are pretty expensive by Argentine standards. But they are what all the wealthy Estancia owners drive around their 10,000 hectaire spreads.
A Hilux or an Amarok is gonna run you twice what a small Ecosport would, though- probably between 2 million and 3 million pesos. Whereas an Ecosport is in the 1.4 million range.
Or you could look at Tiguans or Touregs, from VW, both of which are pretty sturdy.

How many of the non luxury models could make a trip across argentina without falling into a pozo never to be seen again?

I want to get something so wife and I can travel around argentina. I want something that can get out of it's own way and take a pothole without exploding. Am I only looking at SW4 or hilux here? If I buy a hilux truck is that a luxury car?

i dunno if you've been in an SW4, but i rode in one a bunch with a coworker and i was never impressed with it. it rode as stiff as a covered wagon, but so does the hilux i guess.

i dunno if you've been in an SW4, but i rode in one a bunch with a coworker and i was never impressed with it. it rode as stiff as a covered wagon, but so does the hilux i guess.

I have a hilux for work so I'm used to that. I rode Ina sw4 once also and like you was unimpressed. But compared to the other crappy cars here they're the best. Have you ever ridden in a duster? Imagine trying to put your foot through the floor to pass someone.

Can you just rock up with a bag of cash and start things? EVerytime I have to prove the source of my funds and such its always pain. I once had a property owner turn us down because we didn't have normal paystubs from here (as we work remotely from abroad) and even showing that we had more than $1000 USD direct deposit each month to our account wasn't enough for them...

Can you just rock up with a bag of cash and start things? EVerytime I have to prove the source of my funds and such its always pain. I once had a property owner turn us down because we didn't have normal paystubs from here (as we work remotely from abroad) and even showing that we had more than $1000 USD direct deposit each month to our account wasn't enough for them...
I never have to show them some prove the source. In this case I was also surprised because it it quite some money, especially in local terms. But my wife signed the contracts, and payed the money in cash. No questions asked. And she hasn't earned a peso in five years. It was also never an issue when we were talking to other dealers about the process; so I assume it is normal here. Probably it is different if you buy a Mercedes for 100k USD

Is the luxury tax only on new cars? We're thinking of buying a used SUV in the spring, something comfortable and robust like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, maybe a Volvo XC90. There are models 10-12 years old, 150-200k km, for around USD 10k on Mercadopago.

Is the luxury tax only on new cars? We're thinking of buying a used SUV in the spring, something comfortable and robust like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, maybe a Volvo XC90. There are models 10-12 years old, 150-200k km, for around USD 10k on Mercadopago.
Yes, the tax only applies on 0km: "Desde esta semana, deberán pagar este impuesto todos los 0km que tengan un precio bruto (antes de impuestos y comisiones) de más de 1.3 millones de pesos". https://autoblog.com.ar/2020/01/03/...casi-todos-los-modelos-del-mercado-argentino/

Whether it makes sense to buy a 10 year old Volvo for 10k is another question though (I understand that spare parts for such cars are very high here)

Wow 10 to 12 years old for $10,000 and who knows what kind of life. As I said before we bought a new Fiat Moby Way for under $7000 US, all fees and taxes included, 3 year warranty, this car is made in Argentina. We paid cash.
N

Wow 10 to 12 years old for $10,000 and who knows what kind of life. As I said before we bought a new Fiat Moby Way for under $7000 US, all fees and taxes included, 3 year warranty, this car is made in Argentina. We paid cash.
N

How's it holding up? Does it have FM radio?

Man 1l engine? My motorcycle back home had an engine nearly twice that size.

Not bashing your car but is it even allowed on the highway?

Back