Question About The Visa Reciprocity Fee For U.s. Citizens

mariposa

Registered
[font=times new roman']I know all about the reciprocity fee and how it works but I have a specific question: A friend on a professional visit to Montevideo wants to come see us next weekend and spend the night. He will in Buenos Aires for 36 hours. He is a U.S. citizen. He is arriving by Buquebus. Does he have to pay the visa fee? The U.S. State Dept. Section for Consular Affairs says the following.[/font]

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: A valid passport is required for U.S. citizens to enter Argentina. U.S. citizens do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days for tourism or business. As a result of a recent change in Argentine law, prior to arrival in Argentina at any entry point, U.S. citizen tourist and business travelers must pay a $160 reciprocity fee by credit card online at the Provincia Pagos website. Once paid, you must print out the receipt and present it to the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry.The fee is valid for ten years from the date of payment and multiple entries. Until June 30, 2013, passengers on cruise lines entering the country are exempt from paying the fee. The fee applies only to bearers of tourist passports. Travelers bearing diplomatic or official passports are required to get visas prior to arrival in Argentina but are not charged the reciprocity fee, nor are travelers transiting and not entering Argentina.

[font=times new roman']What constitutes a cruise ship, and does he have to pay? Does any one know?[/font]
[font=times new roman']Thanks in advance.[/font]

Yes I believe almost 100% that he will have to pay but you could call the embassy or migraciones to check. Cruise ships should be exempt because the visitors usually just come onto land for a few hours at ports such as Puerto Madryn -- quite ridiculous to charge those people just coming in to spend money for a few hours.

Yes I think you are right. He will probably have to pay, I was just wondering about the cruise ship thing but obviously that is a stretch.

Back