Question - Balvanera "rincón"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy Palermo, though.

Recoleta is boring? Geez your a tough man to please. But, I do think for the op that based on her credentials and funds permitting Palermo is the go. Somewhere in good distance to the subte (linea d)

Recoleta is boring? Geez your a tough man to please.
It's quite a tough guy, anyway. I recently heard he decided to settle down on an artificial island in the Riachuelo facing Villa 21-24, all-happy together with Paco, the fierce stray dog that is featured on his avatar.

The ad said it's a couple blocks from Congreso Nacional and that doesn't sound like a good place to be for me.

Yeah, the Congress is the most dangerous thing you can find in this country. Except the Queen herself.
Seriously though, 2 blocks from Congreso is far enough. Check it out. You should check out Palermo and San Telmo as well.

Hello...

Here is a link to the city subway map.

http://www.subte.com.ar/mapas/subte.asp

I live in Constitucion. Last stop or first stop on the C line.
Been here since 2008. The neighborhood is very funky. I wouldn't recommend it.
But I'm very happy. Never a dull moment :)
Good luck !

I am a woman who came to BA at your age, alone. Speaking Spanish does make a difference in pretty much everything, so you have that as your advantage. Might take you some time to adjust to the castellano argentino, but definitely don't dismiss your skills as irrelevant. Being able to speak the local language never is! Everyone on here will have a different opinion as to where you should live, but only you know your tastes. I personally chose not to live in Recoleta and did not like living in Palermo, but you might love those neighborhoods; many do--so investigate! I think good advice for moving anywhere in the world is to rent something temporarily for a month perhaps in a well-known neighborhood, explore on your own, and then rent something long term in the place that gives you that "I-want-to-live-HERE" feeling. (Good idea to consider cost of living, proximity to villas, nightlife, transportation, etc. in addition to that fuzzy feeling). Worked out great for me in Buenos Aires and Madrid. In both places I ended up in neighborhoods that I love. Good luck! You are in for the adventure of a lifetime. In case you are curious, the best places I lived in BA were Montserrat (on the opposite side of 9 de julio from the Casa Rosada) and San Telmo, even though my friends and boyfriend were all across town. But again, go see for yourself!!

I am a woman who came to BA at your age, alone. Speaking Spanish does make a difference in pretty much everything, so you have that as your advantage. Might take you some time to adjust to the castellano argentino, but definitely don't dismiss your skills as irrelevant. Being able to speak the local language never is! Everyone on here will have a different opinion as to where you should live, but only you know your tastes. I personally chose not to live in Recoleta and did not like living in Palermo, but you might love those neighborhoods; many do--so investigate! I think good advice for moving anywhere in the world is to rent something temporarily for a month perhaps in a well-known neighborhood, explore on your own, and then rent something long term in the place that gives you that "I-want-to-live-HERE" feeling. (Good idea to consider cost of living, proximity to villas, nightlife, transportation, etc. in addition to that fuzzy feeling). Worked out great for me in Buenos Aires and Madrid. In both places I ended up in neighborhoods that I love. Good luck! You are in for the adventure of a lifetime. In case you are curious, the best places I lived in BA were Montserrat (on the opposite side of 9 de julio from the Casa Rosada) and San Telmo, even though my friends and boyfriend were all across town. But again, go see for yourself!!

You might want to note that, in Buenos Aires, the word "villa" means a squatter slum, rather than a sprawling luxury home.

The area is ok, not great, but I would not recommend it for a first timer. You are gonna be dead bored and in general nightlife goes on more in places like Palermo and San Telmo. If I was you I would look for something closer to Corrientes ave, Santa Fe ave or Scalabrini Ortiz, Coronel Diaz too. Belgrano is very nice but more residential.

Thank you so much, dontmindme! You sound like you really got to know BA. Yes, my plan is to stay in a hostel for a while and then decide where I want to be. I'm going to PM you with more questions if that is okay.

Go to Almagro!!!

Look, im a young woman living alone, and im easily scared/very wary of unsafeness, and i live in Almagro in where i easily get back home walking at 4 am, i take buses at every hour, the atmosphere is amazing, never had any problem whatsoever, and its the safest place i ve ever lived in.

Palermo is nice, Recoleta is nice, but this is where pickpocketers go to find people with money. Alamgro is RIGHT next to this two neighbourhoods, but it haves a lower profile, so there are no pickpoters or bands of young guys looking to steal something....nothing! The part between Corrientes and Cordoba is the best one, a lot of movement of young people and families at night,people walking their dogs at midnight, etc....it is THE BEST neighbourhood in Buenos Aires in relation to safety, and this is told by someone that lived in other neighbourhoods before (San Telmo, Palermo), and someone who is a woman too.

Plus, it is cheaper than Palermo, San Telmo, Recoleta or any touristic area. It is closer to everything (Almagro is the more convenient neighbourhood in terms of location, all the lines of buses, 2 lines of subway, etc), it doesnt flood,it haves great atmosphere! Im shocked not everyone is screaming "Almagro" in this thread.

Dont go to Belgrano: it floods.

Go to Almagro, BELIEVE ME, moving here is the best decision i ve ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back