Question - Balvanera "rincón"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Almagro is right next to avenida Corrientes, and to avenida Cordoba. Close to all touristic locations. It haves some great bars at night with amazing atmosphere too, the shopping Abasto is rght there and Alto Palermo too, it is the more convenient, close to everything.

There is no contest, really

A lot of cool bars like "El imaginario cultural", "Guardia la vieja" "Musetta", full of young artsy people all night. Expats too. There are quite a few expats settling down in the northern part of Almagro (the best one, where i live, the one right next to Palermo, i live only 2 blocks to Palermo), and they end up having the best bars, the best atmosphere, the safer nb, and they end up paying half what all the other expats that are in Palermo pay.

Plus, there are areas of Almagro north that are much nicer looking than many areas of Palermo (parts of Lavalle street, Bulnes street, Billinghurst, all that area).

I wish someone had gave me the advie im giving you first time i moved to Buenos Aires, and i wouldnt have to go through those other neighbourhoods till i found the best.

Almagro is the best kept secret in Buenos Aires. I shouldnt be telling you this, because if this place becames a huge touristic spot, the pickpocketers will come with it. But i guess one wont hurt :p

it really is the best options you could have. All my friends want to move here since they came to my nb.

I think Almagro is a good choice also. Plus you have every type of housing there, from big apartment buildings to PHs and even some houses. An unlimited selection of restaurants, food shops, and even the original and best (in my opinion) vegetarian buffet in the whole city "Los Sabios" on Av. Corrientes. Personally I really like the area around Medrano from Corrientes to Rivadavia.

All good advice. . .
keep in mind the more movement on the street, the safer it is at night. Bars, cafes, supermarkes mean lots of eyes. Closed businesses mean not safe. I lived in Monserrat when I got here, nothing happened to me but felt very unsafe at night as no one was around.
I live in San Telmo and on my street there are about 20 people standing around each night. They have never bothered me, but make me feel safer even though they don´t "look" friendly.

I still guess Palermo would be the best option for people of your age. But yes, just visit the place and trust your instinct.

Anyway, I'd advise you to not let yourself be turned off by anything before actually going there in person.

Yes to this.

Go to Almagro!!!

Look, im a young woman living alone, and im easily scared/very wary of unsafeness, and i live in Almagro in where i easily get back home walking at 4 am, i take buses at every hour, the atmosphere is amazing, never had any problem whatsoever, and its the safest place i ve ever lived in.

Palermo is nice, Recoleta is nice, but this is where pickpocketers go to find people with money. Alamgro is RIGHT next to this two neighbourhoods, but it haves a lower profile, so there are no pickpoters or bands of young guys looking to steal something....nothing! The part between Corrientes and Cordoba is the best one, a lot of movement of young people and families at night,people walking their dogs at midnight, etc....it is THE BEST neighbourhood in Buenos Aires in relation to safety, and this is told by someone that lived in other neighbourhoods before (San Telmo, Palermo), and someone who is a woman too.

Plus, it is cheaper than Palermo, San Telmo, Recoleta or any touristic area. It is closer to everything (Almagro is the more convenient neighbourhood in terms of location, all the lines of buses, 2 lines of subway, etc), it doesnt flood,it haves great atmosphere! Im shocked not everyone is screaming "Almagro" in this thread.

Dont go to Belgrano: it floods.

Go to Almagro, BELIEVE ME, moving here is the best decision i ve ever made.

Yep I have to agree on that one, I really like Almagro! For me its feels a lot more like Buenos Aires than Palermo. Plus I really like some of the bars there.

So here is my advice, but do check out the areas your self as I'm sure a lot of people'll disagree with me!

Palermo: Full of Gap yarh people, expensive, some interesting cafes, a bit plastic. Good if your into partying late.
Recoleta: ZZZZ, full of annoying old women.
Bario Norte: Good location but not much going on. Plus the barrio doesn't know where it is (like me after too much Quilmers) There are still too many annoying old people here, I think they are multiplying.
San Telmo: Full of tourists looking for that "authentic" BA experience. A bit iffy at night, but not a bad place to live.
Belgrano: A bit far away and for me a little boring apart from barrio chino.
Almagro: Not perfect but I really like the place for bars you can go to that has onda before 1am.

We get it.
LOL.

Anyway, I was already considering a move to Almagro for when I get back to BA. I like the part that is close to Boedo, but it is a bit more residential than the area around Corrientes and Córdoba which is like a better version of Palermo. Damn, it's so hard to make a choice, and I have already lived in so many different areas that all have their own qualities. I guess this time it will be either the safe part of Barracas or Almagro. Palermo is an absolute NO for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back