Questions about rental requirements for foreigners

Readyokayy

Registered
Hi!

I live in Belgrano- I am from the USA and am a permanent resident in Argentina. My husband is Argentine. We are looking to move to a larger apartment in the same neighborhood. What are the actual rules for rental requirements? We don't have a garantía in BsAs, but do we need one if we can pay in dollars or an entire year upfront? My husband has an income in Argentina en blanco, I have no income but some savings and could pay a year's rent or two. Would this be allowed?

Basically I want to rent, in dollars or pesos, without having to find a garantía (OR I'd find one if it's easy and cheap) and I don't want to be scammed- is this a possibility?

Thanks!!
Amy

"Normal" apartments (2 year leases with the same price locals pay) 99.99% require a garantia. Some will accept seguro de causación which you get by paying about 1 month rent to a company that provides these insurance policies - note this is a payment not a deposit. Not refundable. Otherwise you can rent a "tourist apartment" which is more expensive and a 6 month lease, but has utilities and furniture included usually. You usually have to pay one months rent in commission to the real estate agent representing the property (some are owner direct with no comission). Airbnb is another option but I've never seen anything that's that reasonably priced on there.

As mentioned you can buy a Garantia /Seguro de Caucion

Another option is to deal directly with apt. owners at www.soloduenos.com.ar. If your husband has proof of income and can pay Some in advance . You can work a deal with an owner without commissions. Paying in dollars?:rolleyes::eek:

good luck

How did you rent an apartment in Belgrano without a guarantee? It is owned by his family? If so, stay put.

It's doubtful that any owner would accept payment in advance for a year in the current economy.

Basic Guide for Renters Rights www.defensoria.org.ar/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/diario-inquilinos1.pdf

Thanks, I was thinking of offering to pay in dollars, not pesos. We have a family friend as our guarantee right now but he lives far away and would prefer not to ask him to come for a new contract.

As mentioned you can buy a Garantia /Seguro de Caucion

Another option is to deal directly with apt. owners at www.soloduenos.com.ar. If your husband has proof of income and can pay Some in advance . You can work a deal with an owner without commissions. Paying in dollars?:rolleyes::eek:

good luck
Thanks!

Does anyone know the usual requirements for buying a garantia?

You will get the best deals by renting with a regular garantia an unfurnished apartment. All your other options are going to make it much more expensive. If I was you, I would make your relative a nice gift, and rent with a regular garantia. You will also be covered by rental laws, in case something goes wrong.

Hello, I am new in the forum. I have an apartment for rent here in BA, and I rented ir to a couple of Brazilian expats from Jan. 2017 to Dec.2018. They did not have a garantía in Buenos Aires, and we did agree on them paying 6 months in advance, every 6 months. It worked out perfectly, we signed a contract with a notary and we were both happy. If it is writeen on the contract, I do not see whay it would not work.

Back