Quick questions about expat life in BA

Alby, I’m suspect, has little idea of how it feels to have descended from the boats. I think, like me, he has little sympathy either.

The OP, I think, painted his questions with much too broad strokes… comparing the US, Mexico, Spain and the city of Buenos Aires. If you take Mexico, comparing Polanco in Mexico City to the US reveals huge parts of the US as 3rd world at best. Parts of Spain are very modern and clean, yet traveling a short distance outside Madrid takes you to depopulated, dying villages with no healthcare, let alone street cleaning. Parts of the US might have street cleaning but no affordable healthcare.

I am considering living in BA. I have lived in Spain and Mexico. I have visited BA several times but it has been years ago. I am looking for a city that has a lot to offer as well as a solid expat community. I speak Spanish on an intermediate level so I will be fine as far as the language goes.
I would like to get a perspective from you guys that already live there.
My experience living in Spain was a very different experience from living in Mexico.
Spain was very civilized and modern country and very clean. The healthcare system was ok but not up to date.
Mexico was very third world.
I would like to be around educated people who are interested in the modern world and what is happening outside of their own country.
Each individual is different.
In general how are Argentinians towards expats?
Very friendly
Do most expats live in a certain area and if so what is the area please?
Palermo and Recoleta. Palermo is really nice, Recoleta is...not to my taste. If you want really nice and very safe, check out Las Cañitas, over by the Polo Field, the Horseracing Track, and the Bosque Palermo. Las Cañitas is generally reckoned to be part of Palermo. Sort of.
How similar is BA to any city in the USA as far as having most of the modern conveniences that are in every city in the USA?
Not like that at all, this isn't Miami.
If an expat has US dollars would he be able to avoid the historical ups and downs of the economy in Argentina?
Yup! If you've got dollars, the city is your oyster
How much would an expat need to live a comfortable but not upscale lifestyle in BA?
I get by on around 600-700 USD per month, but I live a frugal lifestyle.
Is BA a safe city for expats? Just like any city there a are going to be bad areas but in the most part how safe is it?
Eh, rather like Baghdad in that so long as you stay in the Green Zone, you should be OK.
Last question I promise.
Liar
How modernized is the healthcare system compared to the USA?
Ahaha! No, wait, you're serious? Think Dark Ages, unless you have a lot of money and can afford to go to one of the big Euro Hospitals.
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions!

I have considerable sympathy for many of the descendants of those who descended from boats. My sympathies in order from most to least sympathy are as follows:

• Group 1: those who descended from busses having crossed South America's land borders during the last forty years to make a new life here (and have never heard of the concept of "expat" let alone apply it to describe themselves).
  • Group 2: those who descended from aircraft from South America and elsewhere during the last forty years to make a new life here (and who have heard of the concept "expat" but have no idea what defines one to be an expat--because the term makes no sense unless it includes all newcomers to a country).
  • Group 3: those who are descendants of those who descended from boats in the 19th and 20th centuries to make a new life here and who have some or considerable affection for groups 1 and 2.
  • Group 4: those who are descendants of those who descended from boats in the 19th and 20th centuries to make a new life here but who do not have much affection for groups 1 and 2.
  • Group 5: those who descend from aircraft today to make a new life here, who apply the word "expat" to themselves but know it also sweeps up up everybody in groups 1 and 2.
  • Group 6: those who descend from aircraft today to make a new life here, who apply the word "expat" to themselves but do not know that they are no different to groups 1 and 2.

My reply to the OP will surely not contain any news. He or she would have found the expat Latin Americans and North Africans (and others) he knew in Spain far more educated and aware of what goes on in the modern world than the odd European expat he or she may have come across while living there. Similarly, in Mexico, he or she would have seen how the Central American expats compare favorably with the North American expats on a range of criteria. I'm sure.

I have considerable sympathy for many of the descendants of those who descended from boats. My sympathies in order from most to least sympathy are as follows:

• Group 1: those who descended from busses having crossed South America's land borders during the last forty years to make a new life here (and have never heard of the concept of "expat" let alone apply it to describe themselves).
  • Group 2: those who descended from aircraft from South America and elsewhere during the last forty years to make a new life here (and who have heard of the concept "expat" but have no idea what defines one to be an expat--because the term makes no sense unless it includes all newcomers to a country).
  • Group 3: those who are descendants of those who descended from boats in the 19th and 20th centuries to make a new life here and who have some or considerable affection for groups 1 and 2.
  • Group 4: those who are descendants of those who descended from boats in the 19th and 20th centuries to make a new life here but who do not have much affection for groups 1 and 2.
  • Group 5: those who descend from aircraft today to make a new life here, who apply the word "expat" to themselves but know it also sweeps up up everybody in groups 1 and 2.
  • Group 6: those who descend from aircraft today to make a new life here, who apply the word "expat" to themselves but do not know that they are no different to groups 1 and 2.

My reply to the OP will surely not contain any news. He or she would have found the expat Latin Americans and North Africans (and others) he knew in Spain far more educated and aware of what goes on in the modern world than the odd European expat he or she may have come across while living there. Similarly, in Mexico, he or she would have seen how the Central American expats compare favorably with the North American expats on a range of criteria. I'm sure.

You are scathing of 'expats' and not much nicer about Porteños and yet here you are. Probably best you join the enlightened and educated on the Chinese or Senegalese forums.

Bs. As. has two health care systems. The public system is overwhelmed, so everyone waits, and waits. The private systems are not expensive for an expat with means. I am satisfied with my private health care provider, but since I am old, I had to qualify before I was permitted to enroll.
In Buenos Aires, or any big city for that matter, the intellectual stimulation of others will be driven by your own efforts to cultivate such connections.
You will have to reach your own judgement on Bs. As..
Don't neglect the taxes, burdensome bureaucracy, and submerging economy when charting Bs. As. over the long haul.

Like others said, it's best to give it a test run to get a feel to see if it's right for you. You'll find a wide range of perspectives when it comes to Buenos Aires.

Why was my post edited? A small joke about the forum is not allowed?

Back