Quick Questions On Tomorrow's Trip To Uruguay

Girino

Registered
I apologize, I am sure this has been discussed tons of times but our threads are very dispersive, and thus it is has to find the information one is looking for.

Tomorrow we will be going for a daily trip to Colonia, so that I can use the exit ticket I bought before moving here (in case Argentine Immigration would make stories because I was coming on a single-ticket from Europe).

We basically are out browsing Colonia and testing our credit cards there, so that in case of emergency we know we have that route to rely upon.

The questions are:
1) Can we take food with use (sandwiches and water)?
2) What currency can we spend in Colonia to buy some food/stuff?
3) Is there anything worth buying there?
4) We will be testing Citi and Schwab cards, any tip is welcome!

...and beware of the Suarez, alwayZ!

I might be going to Colonia tomorrow. If you want I can help you out with whatever you need. I'm a a Colonia expert by now.

Food, yes you can take certain things, all processed, no fresh fruit, yogurt or cheese, just like most border crossings, but snacks and sealed beverages should be fine.

They generally take AR Pesos and many places will list out the prices in both, otherwise ask, if they do they'll do it based on the current exchange rate. Just don't expect AR Pesos in change so if you can bring small bills to pay as close to exact as you can.

Things are usually pretty expensive there, restaurants and what not, there's a cheaper decent hamburger joint on the main street Los Farolitos, was the best deal the last time I was there.

In case you didn't know, since this is your first trip, you go through AR exit immigration then they hand your passport to UY entrance immigration and you enter Uruguay before you even get on the boat, same process for return, the only added thing would be if you get selected for a bag check upon getting off the boat.

Yes, only packaged or processed foods.
As to ATM machines, there are two types, only one will give you USD´s.
Pls do not go to BROU banks, they may suck your card and never get it back. Try Discount, Comercial or BBVD banks only.
Food prices are about the same than here, but in supermarket you may find some imported foods, seasonings, etc.

Go to La Pasiva Cafe on the main street. Good pizza individual, and hungaras hot /dogs, chivito sandwich. The check has the price printed in AR pesos, US Dollars and Reales, as well as Uru pesos. Best choice is to pay with US dollar, bills the change however will be in UR pesos.

Amex is not accepted on ATM's. Only VISA or MasterCard....!

Los Farolitos jajajja a good option if on a budget, or the Food Truck on the side of the main Plaza!
Don't try the steak

I was there two months ago and the food was twice as expensive as in Buenos Aires. I brought a sandwich with me to eat for lunch so as to avoid paying $200 pesos for a salad, and customs told me I couldn't bring it in, but they would allow me this one time.

Food prices are about the same than here, but in supermarket you may find some imported foods, seasonings, etc.
I assume you are only speaking of supermarkets, I found restaurant prices close to double what they are here.

Supermarkets also seemed a little more expensive and with less selection.

I assume you are only speaking of supermarkets, I found restaurant prices close to double what they are here.

Supermarkets also seemed a little more expensive and with less selection.

Excellent Chilean Wines in markets

Back