Racism in BA, am I alone?

I learned about Argentine racism before I even got here, from Argentines I met in Brazil. Just ask a white Argie what a common slur word for a Brazilian is and you'll begin to understand.

As for being paranoid, here's something that's happened to me a few times: a woman will pass me from behind while out walking, then when she's a few paces in front of me she starts looking back with an expression of fear, as if I am following her. WTF? If I was weary of someone on the street I would keep them in front of me so I can keep an eye on them.

I read some of these posts and just shrug my shoulders. Racisim exisits all over the world. It's just that some people are vocal about it while others keep it to themeselves.

I believe that the problem isn't really racism. I think it's human nature. A large number of people put others down so they can feel better about themselves which tells me they have a skewed sense of insecurity. Think about this.... if a person is obese, too tall, too short... you name it, that person is going to subjected to some form of ridicule or another. It all boils down to human nature. At our very core we, as humans, really aren't very nice to each other. That's why most of us strive to be "better" people but usually fail miserably.

None of us are perfect.

Ufff, "negro" in Argentina is the word people (especially people in the high-class bubble most of you live) use to refer to poor people. If you are poor, you are a "negro", and does not have any connection to skin color at all. If you have money, you are not a "negro", even if you are one! It is not racism, it is "classism". Of course, if you go around the "cheto" neighborhoods (Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano, etc) with a hood over your head, you will be seen with suspicion. If you do the same in the Sarmiento train to the suburbs, you are simply one passenger more.

And outside BA in the little and middle size towns (up to 100.000 people) this simply does not happen, in most of them you can put your bicycle in the street without a chain, people let their cars unlocked sometimes, etc etc. BA is not Argentina, and the chetos in Palermo are not all of us. That said, if you came at me with a hood at night running in the city, it will put me in a defensive position, but I think that those of us that see poor people every day would note the difference right away. Btw, the paranoia thing seems to be very strong in the cheto neighborhoods, outside people talk about insecurity but the conversation is mostly about all the things that the TV (always eager to show the same crime 100000 times) tells them about Buenos Aires.

marksoc said:
Ufff, "negro" in Argentina is the word people (especially people in the high-class bubble most of you live) use to refer to poor people. If you are poor, you are a "negro", and does not have any connection to skin color at all. If you have money, you are not a "negro", even if you are one! It is not racism, it is "classism". Of course, if you go around the "cheto" neighborhoods (Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano, etc) with a hood over your head, you will be seen with suspicion. If you do the same in the Sarmiento train to the suburbs, you are simply one passenger more.

And outside BA in the little and middle size towns (up to 100.000 people) this simply does not happen, in most of them you can put your bicycle in the street without a chain, people let their cars unlocked sometimes, etc etc. BA is not Argentina, and the chetos in Palermo are not all of us. That said, if you came at me with a hood at night running in the city, it will put me in a defensive position, but I think that those of us that see poor people every day would note the difference right away. Btw, the paranoia thing seems to be very strong in the cheto neighborhoods, outside people talk about insecurity but the conversation is mostly about all the things that the TV (always eager to show the same crime 100000 times) tells them about Buenos Aires.

My only comment on this is that to use "negro" as a way to describe anybody in the pejorative stems from racism/xenophobia and negative attitudes that in general come from preconceptions founded in skin color. While it might be appied more liberally now, those are still the roots.

Some people might be so accustomed to hearing it applied in the way you describe that they never start to think about it in a broader sense, but it's akin to the word "niggardly" in English. By definiton it doesn't speak to black people at all... but the mentality and reaction towards the word if used does. To me it's important to question the origins of these accepted phrases and try to change them if the true root lies in prejudice or bigotry--or even if the word takes on a new meaning apart from the original usage. Classism is bad, too, of course.

Chino/a is a native Quechua's word, Inca Empire's lingua franca. Mean young, girl ,servant.
In the nineteen century the blacks were called 'negros' or 'morenos' and the mixed white/indian people were called 'chinos' .It's not pejorative.

I went to my reiki class today and I was comparing, positively, some areas outside of the central, how they remind me a little bit of Brooklyn, and a woman in my class, innocently asked, "Aren't there a lot of " negros" in Brooklyn? I heard they are dangerous. I said, trying my best to dispel her misconception of blacks, that yes there were a lot of blacks in my old neighborhood , and NO, they were not dangerous at all, but had families, jobs and rent to pay just like everyone else. Conversation, discussions, forums dispel misconception, differences are needed.I am glad she asked me this question, instead of keeping it to herself. I still think she is a nice woman, and I don't think any different of her.

"Aren't there a lot of " negros" in Brooklyn? I heard they are dangerous.
The same was said to me by a coworker (from Chicago) some 5 years ago: 'Don't go to Brooklyn, it is full of gangs of black people who will kill you'.
My experience is that among Americans there are as many racists as in Argentina, the difference being that in the US they start talking about that after a few beers and once they start 'trusting' you and nobody else can listen to it.

PhilipDT said:
I completely disagree with everyone saying there isn't much racism here. This is one of the most racist places I've ever been in. Do you guys remember the Independiente Boca game from last year where they were throwing bread to the bolitos y paraguitos and telling them to go back to their own countries. Every argument I witness seems to descend into "grone de mierda!" or "indio hijo de puta" or something like that.

Yes, I also agree with you. I've lived in at least 8 different countries and like most of you, travel frequently. Argentina is by far the most racist place I've ever lived. It's not just that they are less PC...yes, they are less PC but also definitely more racist than the USA. Combine this with the cultural hysteria they live on a daily basis and you've got a potently explosive mix of hostile ignorance and stupidity.

For now, I'm still here...only inflation will tell...

Yeah :( it's terrible.

Once, I went to a bra store. BRAS, OK! I NEED TO TAKE MY TIME.

And i went there after work, i dont produce myself a lot when going to the office, and i spent like 30m looking for the right bra.

The girl told me "negra (which is very offensive here), dejate de joder, vas a o comprar o qué?" i was about to pay USD100 for a bra. i took my stuffs and leave.

once i went to a bar, a super annoying guy started talking to me. where i was coming from and shit like that. then he asked me if i wanted to stay here the rest of my life, i said no. he said: "vos que sabés, si sos negra y pobre" jajaja.

i havent been in a place like this where money is completely associated with your sking color or how you look.

Your story doesn't make sense to me. Why would she start to cry if she felt threatened?

Back