Racism in BA, am I alone?

sergio said:
Jazrgz, It really isn't true that most Argentines are "white". Outside of Barrio Norte there are millions of people of mixed race. For that matter you can see them in the Microcenter and Barrio Norte but less so than in other parts of the city, the province of BA and in other provinces, especially the north.

This is not my point of view, it is a fact, and thinkgin nation-wide (in the northern provincnes you will find a 5% of the country´s population, the most are in Buenos Aires area, cordoba, santa fe then other central province, and then souther). Of course there´s millions of ppl of mixed races...when i said europeans i did not mean blonde, europeans come in every shape and color, from the lighter skin to the darkest (i guess except black every other skin color can come from eurpean heritage), the fact that someone is dark skinned does not mean is not european. In the north, and also the south, there´s lots of argentinian natives, compared to the entire population of the country they are very few, again, this is a fact, is not good or bad, just a fact, i can not figure out why ppl cannnot cope with this facts, it blows my mind !
Im not passing judgement to whether is good or bad that most ppl is european heritage, im just saying that it is a fact. Once ppls accept this, then they can start passing judgement if they want to.

marksoc said:
I have rarely seen a country (ok, I am a local) that is eagerly to accept and easily grant citizenship to everybody like this one.

yeah, that's the thing you're local. that's different. for example, something really bothers me it is people saying "oh, caribeña" when i mention when im coming from. Christ in the cross! no, im not caribeña, im not coming from an island in the caribean.

I know it's not related with racism but with a lack of perspective of the entire world. :eek: and when they give their 100% secure opinion is terrible.

Once I have a conversation with a "smart" argentine. He had 2 careers and he was finishing his international relations career. He said there's no way my country will celebrate its 200th independence anniversary soon, because they study in book we depend on the USA as a colony.

:( i know that's not racism but it's terrible.

LAtoBA said:
You're very wrong. Things like sexism and racism aren't a "human" thing. They are learned behaviors that have no basis in science. In fact, race is a fairly new invention used in the US for instance to dissuade the well-documented but rarely discussed miscegenation of poor indentured whites and poor blacks/slaves prior to Bacon's Rebellion. The rich white planters were afraid both groups would rebel and usurp them. Not to mention justifying slavery in the name of race made it that much easier to track and hunt down runaway slaves. This also ensured blacks could not "escape" slavery through religious conversion.

But before that Europeans (Americans included) and Arabs justified slavery through religion (or lack there of) not race. Prior to the 1500's it wasn't about race at all. The problem is we have gotten so caught up in our place in history that we tend to forget 500 years in history is but a mere second.

All that to say prejudice is learned, not innate. So no, I wouldn't settle for saying it's a "human" thing. That's just an easy way to justify stupid and very irrational behavior.
Ha ha ha ha ha . I am so glad I did not pursue a degree in sociology, and have to believe in this tripe.
Racism and sexism does occur in humans and in higher level primates. You need to read up on tribalism.
Not to say that these practices are not repugnant to me.

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']jazrgz, I get what you are trying to say. Yes, everyone will say they are Argentine first, but the next thing out of their mouth is "We're all Spanish/Italian/European here!!" Subtext (not from everyone, but a lot of people): European and therefore better, unlike those other Latin American countries. I can't tell you how many lecture I've gotten on this subject from taxi drivers. People just blatantly saying that Argentina is better because it's "European." Yes, said just like that. [/quote]
i honestly never heard a taxista or anybody else for that matter that we are better because we are europeans, i guess the kinna conversation you strike with these ppl leads them to say something of the sort, it never happend to me, and im pretty sure neither it has to most ppl reading this post.
About your first statement, we say we are argentinian, period ! we are not argentinian and italian. Not such concept for us. We may imply we have italian, spanish, etc heritage but definately not those nationalities and again, having dealt with many americans-europeans (as im sure your average taxi driver has), the fact about our heritage sometimes needs to be clarified because of ignorant (ignorant as plain ignorance, lack of knowledge over something, not as a derogative noun).
I lived in a smal town in iowa over a year, in this area, absolutaly everyone was either irish or german (heritage i was reminded of quite often btw). It was the first time i had ever gone to the states. Later on, i lived in Houston for a while and i remember saying that at the time, i really thought there was nothing but white ppls in the whole country (being obvoiusly ignorant of the real fact)....ABSOLUTALY everyone i had this conversation with felt the need to correct me right away, they wanted to make sure that i understood that in the states, everyone is not white, that there´s is a huge variaty of races and heritages from all over the world ! if i were to think like you, i woul´ve thought to myself that americans are very touchy and are obsessed with their races and heritages.....i understood though, that this was not a subject normally discussed (if ever) between them, but the minute they learnt i had the wrong impression, they felt the need to correct me.....from my personal perspective, everyone ended talkiing about how vast and various their country was, so it would´ve been normal to bellieve you are all obsessed with this matter

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']
Yeah, there are a lot of white people here. But tell me, if two white Argentine girls with almost identical faces and bodies are walking down the street, who is going to get the most looks and comments from Argentine men? The one with the more olive skin, brown hair and brown eyes? Or the rubia with lighter hair, light eyes and whiter skin? You can replace women with babies in this example, and it's the same. Whiter/blonder/lighter is considered better and more beautiful here, just like the rest of Latin America. [/quote]
the truth, in my experience....the brunette - AKA La morocha !!! i personaly prefer blondes, it just that, a preference, but if you try to imply that a beautiful morocha will not get as much if not more attention than the blonde then you are showing me how ignorante you are of our tastes.
With your second statement you are agian showing ingorance, perhaps in other latin american countries where the local population does not have blonde ppl they would stand out and probably be seen prettier than the locals....here there´s a huge mix and we have redheads, morochas and rubias, a rubia would not stand out for being so or for having blue eyes, you have a huge misconception on this matter, and im guessing that´s why locals you interact with keep bringing the whole heritage matter up over and over, ppls is trhying to correct you ! I understand a foreign blonde might get extra attention but just because is foreign, not because it´s blonde...ppl tend to feel attracted to differnt cultures......using the same reasoning, i guarantee you that an attractive black girl would get much more attention than an atractive blonde girl....same thing when it comes to guys...a black guy comes here and has to pretty much shake the local girls of his back, how many blonde gringos can say the same?????

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']Preconception #1 was dashed when I was 8 years old and met my mom's blonde haired blue eyed friend from Mexico City. Then, once I started traveling, I realized there are people of all different colors damn near everywhere. Honestly, in the age of the internet there's really no excuse for a lot of the ignorance I've heard from the people here. I've never in my life met anyone who believes #2, except for maybe an art history professor in college who was crazy for Europe, and considering his profession, for good reason. [/quote]

conception #1 : that is a very very unique experiencie of yours, please dont try to deny that most ppl in europe and in the states assumes (out of ignorance rather than bad intentio or good :p ) that all latin americans are brown and to you americans, specially you are convinced of this towards mexicans, again, a mayority, not everyone, clearly, because of your experience, you were one of the few that didnt.
conception# 2 .................come one !! you mean to tell me the average american (same applies for europeans) do not believe they are god´s gift to mankind ?? i lived in the states, lived everyhere, iowa, houston, LA, milwaukee, chicago, new yersey, atltanta, even passed by new york......i have a really good idea about how the average american feels about their country and culture (again, not everyone, most american-european leaving abroad like you folks are exceptions to this rule, tend to be more open minded and for instance you do not believe you are the center of of universe)

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']I know I'm generalizing here, and a lot of people aren't going to like that, but believe me when I say I don't want to feel this way. It's simply my opinion, based on my own personal observations over the past two years, especially after I started dating a darker guy from another Latin American country and began to pick up on how differently he is treated here. The whiter is better thing is culturally ingrained throughout all of Latin America, sitting in the subconscious of damn near everyone, and I just think it sucks. That's all. [/quote]
Not true, we are though a relativaly closed culture, so whenever we interact with someone of a differnet culture we tend to react in many different ways, specially the average arg than never left the country. It has nothing to do with color, another missconception ! The difference of treatment has nothing to do with skin color, it has to do with culture diffence ! (a peer, say, at the office, will not be treated differently because of color or country of origin. In may personal expierence, i went college with a dear friend of mine, she is your average peruvian, not a rich upper class peruvian but average and at not time she ever felt nor was treated differently.incidently same applies a peruvian guy that works on my same area in ibm...no one minds at all that the guy is peruvian or the he is brown, he is treated just the same and are actuall friends with everyone else)
Whether ppl likes to admit it or not, venezuelan culture or peruvian or even more so mexican (the further up north the larger the cultural gap) are way different than ours, the only thing in common is the fact that we all speak spanish and like playing futbol, other than that are way different...again, this is not a bad thing per se, just a fact, the only country we share a similar culture with is Uruguay.

TheJag said:
Ha ha ha ha ha . I am so glad I did not pursue a degree in sociology, and have to believe in this tripe.
Racism and sexism does occur in humans and in higher level primates. You need to read up on tribalism.
Not to say that these practices are not repugnant to me.

Tribalism isn't the same as racism. Two different things. Racism does occur...sure. But since the concept of "race" has already been disproven by the scientific community then I would argue it is safe to say racism is unequivocally not an innate human characteristic. Ha ha ha ha ha.

wow, reading all seven pages was rather amusing, everyone struggling to speak their minds while trying not to be accused of being heretics, i mean communists, i mean racists.

it's a topic that will harm you in any way you touch it. Good job masters of the culture! brains well washed! the taboo has been well established.

but I'll just say this...

Argentina is part of the New World (the Americas and Oceania) where all the original nations have been exterminated or assimilated and new countries were put on top - to put it delicately. That means that Argentina, as stated in its Constitution, and in the folk's genes, is a multinational, open country. not racist at all.

In the Old World (Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe) there are real homelands of real nations. someone mentioned Japan and Rwanda. good examples, but also, everything that's in between. In those countries you'll find communities where people are not half italian and half spanish, but that are from a certain canton, or province, and don't mix with people from other parts of their same country. This is exacerbated the less urban you go but also the less European you go. Japan only accepts ethnic Yamato as citizens, and many Africans still live in tribalism which is by its definition the most ethno-centric (that is racist) system conceivable.

just pointing out that we're on the, broadly speaking, non racist side of the ocean.

LAtoBA said:
Tribalism isn't the same as racism. Two different things. Racism does occur...sure. But since the concept of "race" has already been disproven by the scientific community then I would argue it is safe to say racism is unequivocally not an innate human characteristic. Ha ha ha ha ha.
Show me the study that racism is not an innate human characteristic.

You also need to understand tribalism .

I forgot Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Someone said "half Spanish and half Italian". I wonder if that is a typical mixture in BA? I ask because I'm a US citizen that's of half Spanish and half Italian decent. Just curious because I'm heading down to BA in the Spring and I'm hoping to blend in a bit with the locals. (I'll be leaving the Hawiian shirts, bright colored walking shorts, white, calf high socks and black shoes at home. I'd hate to have the locals point fingers at me and start laughing!)

angelskywalker said:
Nope, sadly you're not alone. That was quite extreme though...

Try to go to jewelry shops like TODO MODA or CLANDESTINE or so or just any shop and you'll notice how guards stare at you, shop assistants come to you and say TE PUEDO AYUDAR? .... don't get that wrong, they're not being nice, just keeping an eye on you.

I thought I was paranoid, but after having this experience whenever I go shopping or simply browsing, I noticed that it happens to me but not everybody..... u get my drift?? Clothes and shoes are the exception, bcs they really need to come to you and say TE PUEDO AYUDAR? right?

Plus, and this was really upsetting.... when cycling in Palermo I was on the cycle path but people were jogging on it, so I kept telling them they were on MY side of the path.... and a woman shouted at me saying GO BACK TO YOUR F*** COUNTRY!

Nice isn't it? :(

this is not racism. it happens to everyone (every color, argie or not). it's because people steal.

For those of you claiming that there's more racism here than in the States, you clearly are not taking in the account the "hidden" racism.

Things that I've been told after I say that I'm from Argentina:
"you don't look hispanic at all! (follow by a thumbs-up)
"there are many latins here... (sad face) but they are all cashiers or waiters"
"i'd much rather hire a hispanic than an asian... they work more" (intended as a compliment)
"Argentinian? and why are you leaving in a few months and not staying here????"

things that i've been told by educated Americans:
"you're gonna take THAT train? it's all black people at this time"
"you're staying in THAT neighborhood? but it's a black neighborhood"

there's racism everywhere.
but being called "negri" by a sales girl is not racist. being stared at is not because of racism.

Back