Racism in BA, am I alone?

You're soo not alone.
See, I'm Korean and I'm 16 years old right?
They always call me 'china' especially girls who look younger than me or around early 20's.
The guys always look up and down at me like they wanna 'do' me and it's really annoying to be honest especially when they wolf whistle and call out on the streets.
At first I didn't know what to do, but frankly I usually just give them the finger if it's a guy or if it's a group of girls just trying to insult me for looking "Chinese" which I also find ignorant, I just go at it in English and they usually shut up after finding out that I'm fluent in English.

I ams so sorry to hear this.
It looks like a cultural misunderstanding here. I am of different race in BA,
I try not think of it as a racist thing when bad shi*t happens to me.
Please do not be bothered by this. Argentines are not that well traveled.

It's not your fault, but next time when you run, try to dress more like a runner, run near the park where there are more people.

Move on and try to enjoy BA. Do not look down other people, and do not
let them look down on you by feeling good for yourself.

I don't think its a big deal, one my best friends is from India and works at the embassy, we go out a lot to expensive upscale restaurants and I've never noticed people treating us different

TheBigDaddy said:
I don't think its a big deal, one my best friends is from India and works at the embassy, we go out a lot to expensive upscale restaurants and I've never noticed people treating us different
I now understand why they treat people badly here, it's how you dress. They look at the outfit you are wearing. I was dressed to run and I don't look so attractive when I run and of course,on purpose. I also don't dress like a typical woman here,my clothes are different, second hand, I am from NY, I dress different, plus I am very tan, it's all appearance here. Villa Urquiza in the mornings are filled with older folks,too, and I find them to be super paranoid about getting robbed,for good reason, they do happen to get robbed here more often than most. So I agree with you, it's racism in that way. Money talks, whether you are black,cafe, cinnamon, beige, if you have money, you will be respected, if you carry yourself like a person with money, they will treat very nice or not. There are folks here who will rompa tu bolas for being a Yankee, even if you are broke. jajaj I am learning.:)

Ahyoung:
You need to understand that argentine men are not fully evolved.
The issue of racism is so hard to overcome here because it is so generationaly engrained in the culture , that if you chastise someone for refering to people as "gordo" or negro " or "Mina", they will laugh at you and make YOU out to be the ood one.

There is a lot more classism then there is racism. I've had African American friends come here ans ask why everyone looks at them. I told them it's not because Argentines are racist against them, it's simply that they're exotic in Argentina. Recently there's been a huge Chinese immigration wave here and now they call everyone "chinos" because of ignorance more than racism. They don't have anything personal against them. However, they're exists a deep ingrained prejudice against Paraguayans and Bolivians. More than anything, they are prejudice according to what class and economic level you fit in to, regardless of your race or ethnicity.

You're soo not alone.
See, I'm Korean and I'm 16 years old right?
They always call me 'china' especially girls who look younger than me or around early 20's.
The guys always look up and down at me like they wanna 'do' me and it's really annoying to be honest especially when they wolf whistle and call out on the streets.
At first I didn't know what to do, but frankly I usually just give them the finger if it's a guy or if it's a group of girls just trying to insult me for looking "Chinese" which I also find ignorant, I just go at it in English and they usually shut up after finding out that I'm fluent in English.
Sorry this just reminds me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_-l5zpTWE :D

As far as mistaken nationalities, I dont really understand why people get so upset about it. I lived in europe, and to my (not really so great) surprise, most people didnt know a lot about argentina, in fact they knew almost nothing. Most of the time I was mistaken by a mexican or brazilian. The thing is, I didnt, for once, think this was offensive nor i felt insulted in any way, why would I?? I would just explain I was from Argentina, a country in the southern tip of south america. They would answer with an "ahh" and a blank stare and that was it, no feelings were hurt.

nlaruccia said:
There is a lot more classism then there is racism. I've had African American friends come here ans ask why everyone looks at them. I told them it's not because Argentines are racist against them, it's simply that they're exotic in Argentina. Recently there's been a huge Chinese immigration wave here and now they call everyone "chinos" because of ignorance more than racism. They don't have anything personal against them. However, they're exists a deep ingrained prejudice against Paraguayans and Bolivians. More than anything, they are prejudice according to what class and economic level you fit in to, regardless of your race or ethnicity.

I agree with you.

Fabe said:
... but doesnt racism have its roots in ignorance ?

Yes, sure, but they are not synonyms. I believe that in this case is ignorance without racism.

My girlfriend is Korean and we deal with this kind of misunderstandings everyday but she never felt discriminated.

There is people who is racist, for sure, the government of Macri is. I have a class action about that. They didn't want to mix ex-pats and pure Argentines at the city Tango Contest.

However, I don t think that Macri or some people who is racist represent what Argentina is.

Regards

True , it is not a synonim. I mentioned that ignorance is a t the root of racicim. Ignorance of attitude , of how to behave , of having anticuated beleifs.
I also dont beleive that those uneducated or ignorant that are in the majority -mostly bonarenses represent argentina.
I cannot comment of macri himself being a racist , because i dont know the minutia or particulars of why you say or why you are suing macri on the grounds of racism

Back