Racism In Ba?!??

ilovelucy55

Registered
Ok, perhaps I have fallen into the dark internet spiral that comes from over researching something.
I have been reading about this on and off, and tonight more more specifically. I am a black female. And I have now concerned myself all of the horror stories i have found online. It appears others have had some pretty strange experiences and taunts and propositions, and although i know that there are pockets of racism everywhere you go, i don't want to knowingly place myself in an awkward social situation.
I mean I do want to date and have a social life.
Are there any people here, black or any other race here on this forum that can comment on this topic?

I think there is a multipage thread with this very same title on here from a few years ago. Do a search

I think the consensus was that your status as an american will be a much larger impression than you being black. There are a lot of stereotypes that come from living in a country all but devoid of black people. The most prevalent of which is that black = foreigner.

It is true that Argentina is a very racist country but its almost 100% racism against indian descendants. As for tailor made taunts and propositions, you'll get that just by virtue of being female.

Although as a white male, I really can't confirm any of this first hand. I guess you'll find out when you're here.

You should update this thread in a few months with your experiences.

I definitely will update, and I'll continue to search more. And yes i suppose certain things will just have to be discovered once I arrive.....

I think most Argentines have very limited experiences with people who are black, and they tend to make false assumptions about anyone who doesn't look "European", mostly including Paraguayans and Bolovians, as well as black and mixed race people from Brazil. I think if you carry yourself with confidence and reach out to people who seem genuine and open (that's a whole other topic, because it can be hard for anyone to break into the closed circles of Argentina), you will find friends and also people to date. That all said, I think Argentina is pretty racist, and you won't see many black people here, even in Buenos Aires.
Maybe create a new post titled specifically to reach out to other expats who are black and ask about their experiences here?

see the other response I just made, but it is absolutely not a racist country in general. It's less racist than France, let alone Hungary or anywhere east of the old iron curtain. They just don't know much here. If you're cool and fun you will have no problem making friends for life instantly with the Argentines, and they will be with you every day for the rest of your life (even if you wish they weren't, hah).

I think most Argentines have very limited experiences with people who are black, and they tend to make false assumptions about anyone who doesn't look "European", mostly including Paraguayans and Bolovians, as well as black and mixed race people from Brazil. I think if you carry yourself with confidence and reach out to people who seem genuine and open (that's a whole other topic, because it can be hard for anyone to break into the closed circles of Argentina), you will find friends and also people to date. That all said, I think Argentina is pretty racist, and you won't see many black people here, even in Buenos Aires.
Maybe create a new post titled specifically to reach out to other expats who are black and ask about their experiences here?
Just to clear one thing up: while it's true as noted previously that the Argentines are quite zenophobic (I much prefer that word to "racist," because here it's broadly aimed at "anyone who's not like us," rather than a widespread dislike of any particular ethnicity), as far as I've ever seen in over 40 years, there's no targeted discrimination against black Americans, or black Anyones, for that matter.

Various people commented on the prejudice shown toward recent immigrants from Bolivia, Peru, etc, but that's normal anywhere where immigration happens from poorer places. Lamentable, but predictable. So what keeps Argentines from showing zenophobia toward black folks is that so few have wandered this far south. I'm not the best mind to opine on this subject - those who live here full-time are better informed - but for what it's worth I've never seen that particular type of bigotry.

Just to clear one thing up: while it's true as noted previously that the Argentines are quite zenophobic (I much prefer that word to "racist," because here it's broadly aimed at "anyone who's not like us," rather that a widespread dislike of any particular ethnicity), as far as I've ever seen in over 40 years, there's no targeted discrimination against black Americans, or black Anyones, for that matter.

Various people commented on the prejudice shown toward recent immigrants from Bolivia, Peru, etc, but that's normal anywhere where immigration happens from poorer places. Lamentable, but predictable. So what keeps Argentines from showing zenophobia toward black folks is that so few have wandered this far south. I'm not the best mind to opine on this subject - those who live here full-time are better informed - but for what it's worth I've never seen that particular type of bigotry.

Absolutely -- they can be brutal towards anyone who's "new", and part of that is because people from poorer countries have been immigrating here in recent years, and they feel they're poor enough already. However the qualification has nothing to do with being "white". If you're American I think you get a pass for just about everything here, except you will be personally blamed for George W Bush and the failed war in Iraq, because that's how they view things. These are over educated and extremely intellectual people who realize they are stuck at the ass end of the world and have no control over anything, so they take to art and cultural criticism the way tadpoles take to water. That said, I don't think they have any fixed ideas about skin color or race the way people do in America or Australia (or Thailand, for that matter -- those famous Buddhists who secretly think if you're Farang you're a barbarian piece of **** who's only good for stealing from). They have very little experience with other races, although they themselves are a mix. Buenos Aires is one of the most cosmopolitan and multi-cultural cities on the planet, My grandparents immigrated here from Europe in the early 1900s and spoke no Spanish before they arrived, and that is the story of most Porteños. (The fact that they moved on to the Bronx is only half an indictment, and in my opinion was a mistake).

The non-judgmental attitude of Argentines can be proven, versus Americans. The first two questions I get asked in America (although I was born there and speak with a native California accent) are: Where are you from? And: Where are you really from? The third question is usually "What do you do [for a living]?" If I say "I'm American" they keep pressing. This is what some people call a 'micro-agression' in America now, but it's always been that way if you're olive-skinned and Mediterranean.

Argentines will ask where you're from but will accept America as the answer. They will never ever ask what you do for a living or what your ancestry is, unless you get to know them very well. It's almost like those two questions are just below them. And part of it is the immigrant culture and the do-your-own-thing attitude. I love this country for that, above all: I think they really do judge you here by your character. They don't care how much money you make or what your ethnic background is. If you are a cool person to hang out with you will be loved from the first day you get here.

The white expats have spoken: There is no racism in Argentina.

Carry on.

I didn't say that. Please post what it is you've experienced. I'm going off what I see and hear. I got attacked once in New Orleans for dancing with a black girl. (By three black guys). I also had a white sheriff in Birmingham, Alabama pull a gun on me because I'm a Jew. Then he slapped me on the head and called me "boy". I don't see racial hostility anything like that happening here. But it is a very good discussion and I think I'd like to hear what you've encountered. Things are changing fast here in both directions, too.

Back