Racist tweet by Trump re future immigration to the US

Immigration law is the subject of federal legal jurisdiction. It is not susceptible to state by state tailoring.

Federal laws can be tailored to anything. They can be, for instance, made to apply to a geographic area the median income of which is XXX and the principal industry of which is _____.
Lots of laws and provisions which are clearly helping certain regions (or, say, targeting certain companies) exist on every level, local state and federal. They don't need to say so, they come up with some criterion which clearly only applies to the relevant target.

ben, I respectfully disagree. There is a limit to how fine fed law can be tailored.
gracielle suggested there be a law tailored to each US state that may have a need for guest workers. That would require changes to the current law, the INA, which are simply unworkable.

ben, I respectfully disagree. There is a limit to how fine fed law can be tailored.
gracielle suggested there be a law tailored to each US state that may have a need for guest workers. That would require changes to the current law, the INA, which are simply unworkable.

I'm not sure if by 'can' you mean 'should', or actually 'can'.
If we're talking about possibilities, well, those are endless.
In an attempt to make Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska sign on to the (subsequently failed) Trumpcare bill, they carved out a large exception for Alaska. It didn't actually refer to Alaska, of course, it adopted some criterion which could only refer to that state.
There's a lot of room for creativity over there.
If you're talking about what should be going on, well, that's another conversation altogether.

I'm not sure if by 'can' you mean 'should', or actually 'can'.
If we're talking about possibilities, well, those are endless.
In an attempt to make Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska sign on to the (subsequently failed) Trumpcare bill, they carved out a large exception for Alaska. It didn't actually refer to Alaska, of course, it adopted some criterion which could only refer to that state.
There's a lot of room for creativity over there.
If you're talking about what should be going on, well, that's another conversation altogether.
Can, and "endless" is limited by the US Constitution's prohibition of laws that are ill defined. Immigration law applies to immigration to the USA, not to a particular zone, state or other qualified unique area. I'm not sure what the reference to the carve out for Alaska is in the Trumpcare bill you reference, but I'm pretty sure the analogy won't hold. As a judge I knew used to say; I may be in error, but I'm not in doubt.
In any case, as a practical matter that kind of change to immigration law is not going to happen. On that I trust you agree. What is currently in play is change to the soon to expire DACA law. I have no opinion on that, however, my opinion of the shithole labeling, pussy grabbing, stable genius remains the same. He is now an embarrassment to the great majority of US citizens.

Julian63 - You really don't see a geographical difference between a guest worker program for citizens of Mexico vs citizens of Haiti or African nations?
No. For example, those who qualify to enter as "guest workers" to occupy available jobs in southern US states or wherever there is the need.

Are you willing to pay the passage?
No. In the early 60's, under the Bracero Program, workers paid their own way to Tijuana and the farm owners paid for r/t ground transportation (rented buses) to the CA central valley.

Julian63 - I am surprised to learn your husband was unable to find any legal employees. I presume he was offering competitive wages, if not, the promise of union wages. Yes? If so, PM me. I 'm pretty sure I can refer him some legal workers from the SF bay area.

As I posted previously, my ex-husband pays union wages + a bonus for completion of each project within the contracted time. Plus 50% of the monthly cost of the medical premium for each employee. Thank you for your offer. At this point he is contemplating an association with a younger licensed general contractor. That would bring an owner/supervisor + 3 additional trained employees to the crew. They can cover the months of Jan and Feb as well as take over for when his older workers decide to cut back even more or retire.

Julian63- Immigration law is the subject of federal legal jurisdiction. It is not susceptible to state by state tailoring.

Guest workers are not immigrants. They may apply for permanent residency in the future. The tech industry has been obtaining work visas for their foreign employees for quite some time. Rural areas, such as in the Appalachian region, have an ongoing critical need for physicians of all specialties, optometrists/opticians and nurses. Even the newly graduated are not interested in filling those public/private health jobs. So some states reach out to health professionals in other countries who can qualify for work visas. A few years ago the AMA grudgingly accepted the circumstances and now participates in the certification process of their foreign credentials.

I re-post the following article.....
August 29, 2017
After decades of pushing bachelor’s degrees, U.S. needs more tradespeople
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/decades-pushing-bachelors-degrees-u-s-needs-tradespeople

You really don't see a geographical difference between a guest worker program for citizens of Mexico vs citizens of Haiti or African nations? Are you willing to pay the passage?

Actually, many US employers currently pay for Haitian seasonal workers to come to the USA, sponsor them and get them visas. And while these Disney employees are not seasonal, they are also affected.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-trump-haitians-20170425-story.html
and, amusingly enough, Mar-a-lago does bring in Haitians seasonally.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/20/the-foreign-workers-of-mar-a-lago
A fair amount of Haitians also work seasonally in the sugar cane fields in florida, and in many other low paying ag jobs in the USA.

temporary workers come from many countries, and geographic proximity is seldom a big factor- Trump also brings in a bunch of Romanian employees. A significant percentage of the apples in upstate NYC are picked by Jaimacians. Hondurans, Salvadoreans, and Guatamaleans frequently pick strawberries, blueberries, and peaches in Western states. In my rural area of Western Washington, its not uncommon to run into residents of southern Mexico who dont speak spanish- they are indigenous Nahuatal speakers.

Back