Rant: If you don't know how to make the drink, just tell me...

Agreed.

It's not an anti-Argentine comment. It's a bad bartender comment. If the bartender didn't know what a dry martini is - (although how any bartender wouldn't is shocking), he should have simply advised the customer. But never, never, never would it have sugar in it.

Wow. How in the world would sending a salad back when you ordered a pizza be an example of expat snobbery? You're probably not going to complain when you get charged for a large margherita, either?

I'm thinking you're being a little too lax in your "You´re in another country, so play by this country´s rules" attitude. That's one of the silliest things I've heard anybody say in a very long time.

Agree that this is a simple criticism of bad bartending, not Argentina, end of story. I could come up with analogies for days.

I have worked in bars on 3 separate continents, including this one (in BsAs), and a DRY MARTINI, is made the same way everywhere.

Katherine you are just flat wrong! It is not an opinion issue. It is a fact.

Now if the argument was they gave me gin instead of vodka, you could argue that it was a local preference due to the British influence or something. But with sugar, it is just not a dry martini. Drinks are more like chemical formulas. It is as if I asked for bleach and you handed me something with ammonia. It's a cleaner but it is not bleach.

KatharineAnn said:

A fine example of expat snobbery.

And another.

You´re in another country, so play by this country´s rules. If everything has sugar in it, well, then, tough luck. These threads are so ridiculous :D

Ridiculous, yes. Mostly because of your replies.

Is just a matter of going to the right place!

MizzMarr said:
I'm sorry, KatherineAnn, but while I agree that there is room to adapt a lot of time to the local culture, make concessions to things being done differently, and loosen up in general, a dry martini is a dry martini without a lot of room for interpretation. This is why there are bartending schools and bar guides that tell how to mix a drink and in what quantities. This is why, generally speaking, the world over if you walk into a bar and order a "dry vodka martini" you'll be served a glass filled with vodka and vermouth in a more or less 5:1 ratio. I don't think that it's right that in order to "cater" to the tastes of the Argentines that a timeless recipe should be bastardized by putting sugar in it. If that's how Argies like their martinis, fine, but it shouldn't be called a dry martini.

If someone gave you a sugar cookie and called it an onion bagel, would you just say, "huh, I guess this is how they make onion bagels in Argentina"? No, you'd most likely say, "they don't know what they are talking about and I can't believe I just got conned into paying 50 pesos for a dozen sugar cookies. Now what am I going to do with all this lox and cream cheese?" My bet is that you don't put it on the sugar cookie and concede to local interpretation. ;)

NikBaires said:
Only bar I know that doesn't butcher drinks is the bar in my house :)

I've found this true too, which is sad cause i'm not much of a bartender. My drinks aren't that great but at least they're not "butchered".

For future reference... L'Abeille makes a decent gin martini. V. dry.

Agreed, sugar in a Martini is equivalent to blasphemy.

But then again, so is vodka.

Does anybody know if there's a similar, local drink which maybe OP's bartender confused it with? Or, do Portenos just have a proclivity for sweet cocktails? Did he serve it to you with a straw?

ps Katherine, if it was consistently a custom to include sugar in a Martini round here, there might be an argument for a bit of cultural relativism. But, I understand from the thread that this guy was just a one-off joker who didn't know what he was doing. The issue wasn't so much the sugar as the ignorance.

Back