Rantings And Ravings.

Definitely agree with this. I think in general there is not such a stigma about creating smalltalk with strangers, or saying hi to them, like there is in the states. BUT, the one place I have no patience for complaining, just because it's a place people LOVE to complain, is on an airplane. you are being carried through the air hundreds/thousands of miles, and it's a feat of engineering that saves us all hours/days and affords us the ability to travel, yet we all lose our s%^# if we have to wait 20 extra minutes to board the plane.

Anyway, you should have seen the reaction when I came back from Bariloche in March. our flight arrived about 30 minutes EARLIER than planned, so early in fact that the buses that were supposed to drive us from the plane to the terminal (we didnt have a gate) were not available to us yet. So in true airplane fashion, since everyone was already standing in the aisles from the moment the seatbelt sign went off, instead of taking their seats again to wait for the buses, everyone started yelling outrage at the helpless flight attendants who couldn't do anything about it. In fact there was NOTHING the LAN employees could do as they told us they sub-contract the buses from, you guessed it, aerolineas argentina, and had no control over the schedule. And then the complaining started because people were going to miss their connecting flights (keep in mind that we landed a half hour earlier than scheduled, and waited a total of 30 minutes) and it was as though took every fiber of my being not to give them all a big "SIENTENSE Y CALLENSE!!!!"

I guess when someone has really been treated unjustly, I'm ok with complaining, but this was a situation in which clearly nothing could be done about it, and was an extremely minor inconvenience, and everyone just made it 10 times worse by all standing, squashed in the aisles, taking turns yelling at the flight attendants. People need to understand that sometimes things happen that nobody can control, and that's part of life, and that "don't sweat the small stuff" really makes a big difference in the overall quality of your life.

Disclaimer: this is a global air travel behavior problem, not an argentine problem, but it fits the bill as it happened in argentina with a plane full of argentines :)
Air travel is a different thing when you consider the 'trapped' situation you are in. A plane load of strangers and no way off, even tho it is sitting peacefully on the ground - produces a certain amount of panic, which is a bit contagious of course.

Wouldn't it be nice if people could relate to 'isn't is a beautiful day?' As well as they relate to complaints about heat/cold?

I love rants and raves and this thread. Thanks nlaruccia:) I find it refreshing and exhausting in public though. Refreshing in that it gives life to the mundane. Exhausting in that it is energy depleting and non solution oriented. What I find most annoying is just a lack of discretion and not knowing when Tales of the City and Days of Our Lives just evolve into a constant episode of the US soap opera General Hospital. It makes it hard for me to distinguish here sometimes what is actually important and serious versus what is just SHOW and rant. I frequently can't tell "what is what":)

As mentioned before by someone, the only rants and raves I really have to listen to are from the elderly. I am out in the neighborhood a lot every day walking my dog and a lot of times elderly neighbors want to talk my ear off complaining about this or that. It doesn't hurt me in anyway to give them an ear, they seem lonely.

I happen to come from a part of the U.S. where there is zero stigma surrounding talking to strangers and frankly, I wouldn't enjoy living in the type of place where someone keels over and dies on the subway stairs and no one stops to help. But where I'm from, the difference is that conversing with strangers doesn't usually involve intense bitching from the get go. I don't mind people complaining to me here (and they do, frequently), except when they go from zero to freaking out or getting loud in two seconds. In that case, I really do not want to be involved in some grown adult's emotional meltdown or tantrum and will just walk away or switch seats on the bus without saying anything as long as physically moving away is a possibility. But if it's just some light complaining, I don't mind it and will talk to the person. For those of us without Argentine partners/family, it's a nice way to feel included in the society sometimes.

As mentioned before by someone, the only rants and raves I really have to listen to are from the elderly. I am out in the neighborhood a lot every day walking my dog and a lot of times elderly neighbors want to talk my ear off complaining about this or that. It doesn't hurt me in anyway to give them an ear, they seem lonely.

Yes. The elderly and women too. I never hear men rating in public. Except to curse a driver.

I agree with that....some of you know I used to own a small retail shop here, and while I loved the interactions with my customers, some of who I am still in touch with as friends nearly 3 years after having closed the shop, some of the stories, rants and raves I used to have to listen to day in and day out would be maddening....let alone some of the personal questions they would ask me like about sex, money, etc after knowing them for all of 1 hour it's was so weird for me as in New York City (believe it or not) people are much more discreet about the personal aspects of their lives when they meet people and everyone is in such a rush, complaints are short and people keep on movin'....
Check the prices of the Hostels in BA and find out if there is a profit to be made..?

As an update to this does any one hear anyone ranting and raving much to strangers these days?
Doesn’t happen very much to me.

As an update to this does any one hear anyone ranting and raving much to strangers these days?
Doesn’t happen very much to me.
Nope. I don't see or hear it. Another advantage of living in Argentina as opposed to any number of other countries.

Holy Necro, Batman!
No, I don't hear that type of over the top kvetching anymore.

As an aside, does anyone really want to live in Seattle these days?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Food and Drink 3
Back