Re: Skype

sergio

Registered
Does anyone use Skype to call phones, the Skype service that is NOT free (about 2 cents a minute)? I have read that there are billing problems - inaccurate billing, unauthorized charges and that the total lack of telephone customer service makes it hard to get problems resolved. Any feedback?

I use Skype to call landline phones all over the world, but especially to the USA. I also paid for a US area code Skype telephone number with voice mail, and it is that number I give out to people who need to phone me from the States.

Most of the time the phone quality is good, but sometimes, though rarely, it is so bad that I need to hang up and call again. The price rate varies. I think it is 2 cents a minute to the States and some other western countries, but I also call places more far flung and difficult, and some of those calls run up to 7 cents a minute. But I compare that with more than a dollar a minute using an AT&T calling card for the same call.

I thought I would be charged (or see it deducted from the running total of credit in the Skype box) for even toll-free calls, like to 800 numbers. But I've noticed no deductions for 800 number calls, so apparently they are toll free on Skype.

Finally, I have in the past four years of using Skype this way, never had to contact customer service because I have never had a service problem. I don't have very high expectations for a service like Skype, so I am not disappointed. (Except the rare times I am paying 2 cents a minute for a call with bad sound quality.) I have not had a billing problem or seen any unauthorized charges. On the contrary, re. the free 800 calls, I think maybe they are not charging me for calls I expected to be charged for.

In short, works fine for my purposes.

Been using Skype for over five years. Call quality is bad about 10% of the time, so I just hang up and call again. Video quality is all right. Skype provides a list of all calls, duration, etc. - haven't noticed any unauthorized charges.

Calls to toll-free numbers in the US are free. Calls to other Skype members are free as well. Calls to landlines are 2.1 cents a minute to most countries.

All in all, very satisfied. I only had to contact customer service once, when my credit card recharge wouldn't go through. Got a response a day later saying that charges from Argentina were no longer accepted. Tried again from Uruguay, it worked, and am now on their auto-recharge system with no problems.

If you want to charge your account from Argentina, use Hot Spot Shield or something similar.

I have used Skype for 6 years, it is awesome. If you plan on making a lot of calls, consider buying the unlimited plan, which includes a phone number, voicemail and unlimited calls to either one country or the world, for a very reasonable price.

In short, Skype rocks!

Have used it for 5 years, no problems. Free service and the paid landline service work as advertised. No wrong billing....ever.

have used skype for long time. i subscribe to the US$2.99/month for unlimited US & Canada calling. I use credits for the rest of my international calling b/c only US$0.02/min for most places. no problems with billing ever.
useful things with skype:
1) get a Skype-In number (US$30/year). give that number to your friends back home. Or have your cell phone back home forwarded to this number. Then forward your skype account to your local cell phone in ARG. So when you mom calls your cell phone in say the UK where you used to live, the call is transferred via skype to your cell phone in ARG. Your mom doesn't pay for any of it. cool huh? works great if you travel alot to different countries and have lots of different SIM cards.
2) when doing a skype to skype call, the program has a screen share feature. so you can see the screen of the other person (if they allow you to). Great for working remotely on a project with others.
3) with the skype add-in for most smart phones, you can take advantage of free calling almost anywhere.

I love Skype -- I use it to call the U.S. and Europe from Buenos Aires, to call my partner's Buenos Aires numbers when I'm in the States, and to send text messages to cell phones. By far the cheapest option on all accounts. The call quality is generally decent with landlines; I usually preface it by saying, "I'm calling from a computer; can you hear me OK?" and we have no problems. When I call an international cell phone from Skype, yes, sometimes I do have to speak more slowly or repeat things. I don't mind that, though, it's still far easier and more reasonable than any of the other international-calling options.

For calls to land line phones I use VoipCheap.

So, I have used Skpye for land line calls. But the started charging my card automatically when I finished my credit. Apparently they bury (or used to) an box that says "you will be charged automatically when this amount is done" some where which I didn't see. I was not a happy bunny. I don't like having automatic purchase made on my behalf. It took me a very long time to get my money back. And I haven't used them for anything other than free calls.

Love skype, use it all the time.

If you're worried about unauthorized charges, just put skype credits on it and DON'T click on the box telling them you automatically want to recharge your skype when you've spent it all. If you don't do that, they won't automatically put more credit on and you won't be able to make calls until you put more credit in your account.

I've used it for 4 or 5 years and have no problems with billing. I'd say the quality is good to very good about 85% of the time. I sometimes get feedback but if you hang up, and call back, its usually fine.

citygirl said:
Love skype, use it all the time.

If you're worried about unauthorized charges, just put skype credits on it and DON'T click on the box telling them you automatically want to recharge your skype when you've spent it all. If you don't do that, they won't automatically put more credit on and you won't be able to make calls until you put more credit in your account.

I've used it for 4 or 5 years and have no problems with billing. I'd say the quality is good to very good about 85% of the time. I sometimes get feedback but if you hang up, and call back, its usually fine.

Yes. In the end I changed the setting. But I didn't like that they made it a default and it wasn't very clear. I found it to be a bit sneaky. I also didn't like that it took so long to get my money back! Boo! ;)

So, I just changed to using Voip Cheap when calling fixed phones. The quality is just as good as Skype. I still use Skype to call computer to computer though.

Back