Re: Skype

Vonage all the way. I never have a problem with call quality and they just reduced the rate to call Argentine cell phones to $.06/minute. This makes it one of the cheapest ways to call mobile phones here.

I also have it forward my incoming calls from the States directly to my Argentine cell phone when I am out. It's great to have...

Sleuth: what mobile carrier / plan do you have? What's the cost to have inbound calls forwarded to your mobile?

Here I'm on Movistar pre-pago and just text "D" to 2345 when I need data.

Incoming calls on Movistar are free. I pay Vonage $.06/min for incoming calls from the States to my mobile here.

I use Skype on my iPhone to call out to the States from my mobile when I need it.

We use VoipStunt - I've heard about problems, but never experienced any personally, or with close friends. Costs 10Euro for 120 days - boatloads of calls.

Skype Vonage and Truphone are your best options for voip.

Skype is $ 13 usd a month for unlimited international, Vonage costs $ 25 for the same service and Truphone is $ 17 usd. All three have android and iphone apps available ( nimbuzz for skype ). Skype and Truphone are pay as you go, Vonage makes you sign a one year contract. Depending on your needs, all three are good options.

Sleuth said:
Here I'm on Movistar pre-pago and just text "D" to 2345 when I need data.

Incoming calls are Movistar are free. I pay Vonage $.06/min for incoming calls from the States to my mobile here.

I use Skype on my iPhone to call out to the States from my mobile when I need it.

This vonage price of US$0.06/minute is only applicable if the customer also pays for the US$24.99.month 'World Plan'. Without the "World Plan", vonage charges US$0.21/minute to ARG mobiles. Skype's global plan is about US$12.99 i think, so you would have to figure out how many calls per month you would have forwarded to your ARG mobile to make it worth it for the upfront extra US$12 or even US$22 (if you only use Skype North America plan for US$2.99/month), versus the US$0.21-US$0.06=US$0.15 extra cost per minute. That is a break even of 147 minutes per month of calls being forwarded to your ARG mobile. Might be reasonable for a business I guess, probably not for an individual.

I started using Whistle Phone -- I can call any phone in the states and I have a free number anyone in the states can call me -- you listen to a 5-10 second ad at the beginning of a phone call and that's it -- It's fantastic!! =D http://www.whistlephone.com/

Back