Real Estate Agencies in BA

mcaffa

Registered
My husband and I are searching for a 1-2 bedroom apartment to buy (US $50,000 max). We plan to live there for about a year, until we return to the US, and then rent it out to foreigners or sell. We'd ideally like to get something in one of the following neighborhoods: Belgrano, Palermo, Colegiales, Recoleta or Barrio Norte.

Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent?

Any thoughts on other neighborhoods that might be worth considering (preferably closer to the Palermo-Belgrano area)? My husband mentioned Chacarita but the parts I'm familiar with (near the cemetary) are quite shady. Am I mistaken?

Very mistaken about Chacarita. Yes, there is a small Villa behind the train station, but it really isnt shady at all. Chacarita is a very safe, very residential neighborhood though, and might not have all the restauranty options you want.

Dont knock it if you dont know it(By the way, my girlfriend just said "hijos de puta" when I told her what you said about our Barrio).

Colegiales is between Belgrano and Chacarita and is very nice as well, as is Nuñez, Saavedra, Villa Urquiza, etc.

50k will not buy you a 1 or 2 br in those neighborhoods, at the very best you will get a small dark studio these days. I would try other places. The avg price per square mt there is 2k

I agree with nikad. Having just gone through the process, you will not find anything in that price range in those neighborhoods. A 30 sq meter studio will run you upwards of U$S 60K, and that doesn't take into account commission, taxes, escribano, etc. Take a look at http://www.zonaprop.com.ar for a good listing of apartments and for a bit of a reality check.

mcaffa said:
My husband and I are searching for a 1-2 bedroom apartment to buy (US $50,000 max). We plan to live there for about a year, until we return to the US, and then rent it out to foreigners or sell. We'd ideally like to get something in one of the following neighborhoods: Belgrano, Palermo, Colegiales, Recoleta or Barrio Norte.

Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent?

Any thoughts on other neighborhoods that might be worth considering (preferably closer to the Palermo-Belgrano area)? My husband mentioned Chacarita but the parts I'm familiar with (near the cemetary) are quite shady. Am I mistaken?

If you only plan on being here a year why are you buying? I doubt you would make money after a year given the transaction costs even if you are very lucky and it does appreciate. As a rental I would advise looking at Craig's list there are hundreds of apartments for rent(there appears to be an oversupply), I suspect the rate of return on these apartments are quite low today.

You can buy a one-bed apartment for under $50K in Puyrredon and a studio for under $40K. The expensas and taxes there are pretty reasonable too. Be aware of the palermoisation* of the neighbourhood - at least one agent is already marketing the area as 'Devoto Norte.'

*Palermoisation - adv - Barriocreep whereby anywhere within General Paz can be described as Palermo Somewhereorother. Look out for Palermo Ferrocaril, Palermo Obelisco and Palermo Bombonera any day soon.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I will reconsider the Chacarita area - I saw some apartments in our prices range, so we'll make sure to check out the area.

In regards to our measly budget of 50k - believe it or not, there actually are some properties in this prices range in the areas we are considering. All are studios or 1 bedroom apts. I have contacted the agencies offering the properties I have seen but unfortunately for us, they're already taken.

Gouchobob - We aren't just coming to BA for a year and then leaving. I've been living in Argentina for almost 6 years and my husband is Argentine. My husband is in the Army and just got a very low interest housing loan in pesos. We want to purchase a property, live in it while we are here (instead of throwing money out the window in rent) and then rent the property out to foreigners when we leave. It is an investment. If, in the end, temporary rental is not very profitable for us, we will sell.

mcaffa said:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I will reconsider the Chacarita area - I saw some apartments in our prices range, so we'll make sure to check out the area.

In regards to our measly budget of 50k - believe it or not, there actually are some properties in this prices range in the areas we are considering. All are studios or 1 bedroom apts. I have contacted the agencies offering the properties I have seen but unfortunately for us, they're already taken.

Gouchobob - We aren't just coming to BA for a year and then leaving. I've been living in Argentina for almost 6 years and my husband is Argentine. My husband is in the Army and just got a very low interest housing loan in pesos. We want to purchase a property, live in it while we are here (instead of throwing money out the window in rent) and then rent the property out to foreigners when we leave. It is an investment. If, in the end, temporary rental is not very profitable for us, we will sell.

Ok, I see your logic and agree. Whoa, what a deal, a low interest rate loan in pesos, you can borrow at four pesos to the dollar and repay the loan later at what 6 or more to 1 maybe higher. Borrow the maximum you are allowed and good luck.

GuilleGee said:
Very mistaken about Chacarita. Yes, there is a small Villa behind the train station, but it really isnt shady at all. Chacarita is a very safe, very residential neighborhood though, and might not have all the restauranty options you want.

Dont knock it if you dont know it(By the way, my girlfriend just said "hijos de puta" when I told her what you said about our Barrio).

Colegiales is between Belgrano and Chacarita and is very nice as well, as is Nuñez, Saavedra, Villa Urquiza, etc.

I also live in Chacarita and can attest to its safeness. For me it's far enough away from all the hustle and bustle to feel like a real family barrio, but just a 10 minute walk (or two min bus ride) to Belgrano and Palermo viejo. We rent but my MIL was looking for a property here a year ago so we went around quite a few agents...I didn't see anything for 50 grand but there are a lot of new builds so you might have a bit more luck.

Back