Really hard to make friends

BAvisitor said:
Sorry if I'm butting in, but Steveinbsas, may I know the name of te tenedor libre you mentioned? I will be in BsAs for two days... one of which is my birthday. I have been to BsAs before and have always wanted to try one. And maybe this is a time that the stars could align and I could have a great experience for... gulp... free?

Would it be too much to ask if you could send me a message with the name of this place?

I've been following this forum for months and have found the discussions fascinating. As I've said, I've visited before (3 yrs. ago) and it seems like things are certainly more interesting these days. Bit worried about my visit (in May), with the increased cost of things and the petty crime. I loved my visit and I hope to have a good birthday visit next month.

Thanks!

In order to qualify for the "free lunch" you need to have a party of at least five (this was the policy two years ago). There's no reason you can't organize a lunch for yourself and invite expats from this forum. I'm sure you'll get at least four others who would be happy to join you. I suggest you ask one of them to make the reservation and inquire about the price as well as the birthday deal. Enter "expat lunch" in the advanced search box and specify threads started by me (steveinbsas). You can use one of my posts as a template, adding the exact date and place once you know it.

Please answer this with info on where you're stayingas well as the date of your birthday. Then someone who lives near there and wants to attend the lunch can help you arange it. They only have to stoop by the restaurant and make the reservation and check the current price. Lunch is always cheaper and though they attract smaller groups than the dinners, 20 was the smallest trunout for any of the lunches...and that's probably because that one was in Belgrano.

The last lunch I sponsored was at MAIZALES. The price was actually $43 pesos in 2010. It's probably about $70 now. The price does not include drinks or tips. This is the restaurant where the birthday lunch and champagne were complimentary, but the others may do the same (I think ONE does). I can imagine the price (for those who have to pay) is a bigger issue now than it was several years ago.

The address for MAIZALES is Monroe 2801 (at the corner with Vidal) in Belgrano. Vidal is four blocks south of Cabilo. The closest subte station is Juramento on linea D. It's in Belgrano,but there are others I can suggest, depending on where you will be stying. In Recoleta there are three tenador libre restaurants where we also had lunches: ONE (formerly Grant's) at Riobamba 1068 between Santa Fe and M. T. Alvear and DELY-WOK at Junin 1555 between Santa Fe and Aranales. The third one is on Santa Fe just up from Pueyrredon. I don't remember the name, but there was also an expat dinner there. I hope Igor can provide the name and street number.

I'm always up for meeting new people and want to partake more in ex pat events myself! I've been in Buenos Aires for close to 2 years now, but I just moved to Palermo Soho and want to meet my neighbours as well.

I think there's a stigma about making ex pat friends, as many of them are here today, gone tomorrow, I literally started to make close friends with a very sweet girl, took her to brunch, my local spots, got her hooked up with cheap lessons with a Spanish teacher friend, and all of a sudden, she left. I respect her decision entirely and I know it can be hard in BA, and I would still say we are friends today, but it gets kind of frustrating.

Also the people that are on the constant party kick is a turn off, although there is less of this now that people are starting to realize they can't inhale 7 fernet/cocas as cheap as they once could.

I think a lunch somewhere sounds great.

when i joined a few years ago there seemed to be a regular friday night pub event in San Telmo, which I regret never having attended. I think the organizer returned home.

having said that, I had been thinking of organizing a monthly event for drinks at say 8-10pm (stay as long as you want), once a month for people on here held in different bars and barrios. (for example we could aim for May 3rd to give us time to get organized and then try for the last thursday of every month).
I would love to get to know more people here as I am now a full time resident and have the same issue of meeting great people who return home after a short stay.

Perhaps I will start a separate post, pick a date (like May 3rd) and see what the response is like. I think the key is to keep it consistent. I would be open to lunches as well, but work makes that tougher for me personally.
thoughts?

I went a few times to the Fridays gathering but I enjoyed them a lot I had the chance of practicing English and meet people of all ages. A coffe or a beer and a good chat was the best excuse to go. I encourage baexpats members to do the same and people not always have the money to spend on lunches so this should be taken in mind so everybody can go.........this is the idea

Thank you to everybody who's contributed to this post, it's all very positive and friendly. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who do want to get together and meet people. I'm 57 by the way, and I'm sure you're all bright young things ;-) but I can sit you all on my knee and tell you stories at least :) I'm going to the milonga in Plaza Dorrego in SanTelmo next Sunday at about 5. If anyone wants to come too please leave a message here. I'll also try to get along to anything else anyone suggests

Hello Pompey I thought I was the only one that was 57 I would also like to meet sometime for coffee I live near San Telmo in Monserrat and though I have triplets I will try to manage and make a time!
Reina

I'm 51, live in San Telmo, would enjoy getting together for some sort of tasty beverage, and wouldn't mind discussing Marxism ;)

Back