Reasons to be sad

GS_Dirtboy said:
The Chilean Air Force purchased 10 F/16 "Block 50's" and a bunch of F/16 model A's and B's from the Netherlands. For those not familiar with combat aircraft the Block 50 is a serious piece of hardward. Conversely, I have Argentine pilot friends who can't get replacement parts for their 30-year old A/4 AR Skyhawks. This is essentially an upgraded version of the same aircraft I flew in the US Navy as a student in the Training Command before I went to the fleet.

I don't know if any country has it's sights on Argentina, but I feel for my Argie pilot buds who would need to fly against much more sophisticated weaponry.
The F-16 is one of the best combat aircraft ever produced and is capable of a true vertical climb. A mega asshole known as DICK Chaney killed the program so his pals could get the contract to build a piece of flying junk. Which is like flying a brick.

I went to dinner with a group of Argentines last night and during a discussion about the current situation there was a complacency and a kind of chronic naivety that, even after 10 years living here, I still fail to understand. Many people think that the current situation is just "part of a process" and that "it takes a long time" for a political system to reach stability. Given that there's a constant cycle here of ups and downs, I have no idea how anyone can think think that they actually moving forward in any way whatsoever. There's also this attitude of "well, what can you do about it" (in the context of the government lying) but it was more of a "you shouldn't do anything about it" attitude...like accepting the status quo is better than causing a scene. I find that a lot of people with this attitude are generally very lacking in life experience. Certainly, the vast majority of the people I spoke to were in their mid-late 20's, had been out of college a year or two, have houses funded by their parents, cars funded by their parents and really don't have to rely at all on a state that let's them progress and make something of themselves. I think that's the issue...the people that are educated and contribute to the economy and could make an impact if they collectively objected (I guess the middle/upper middle classes) just don't care enough as they have families to fall back on. If the same kind of system were to exist in Europe, people just couldn't afford to stand for it.

I am piqued... am going off topic now.. Which is the flying brick? F-22?

I am not familiar with the regional rivalries here but to weaken your armed forces to the point it cannot even put up a decent parade and when bulk of the budget goes to salaries and pension is mas estupido...

ghost said:
The F-16 is one of the best combat aircraft ever produced and is capable of a true vertical climb. A mega asshole known as DICK Chaney killed the program so his pals could get the contract to build a piece of flying junk. Which is like flying a brick.

Yes, the question without an answer; why does Argentina has failed throughout history as a country, when all signals pointed to a developed and prosperous country...Still, what gives you the perception that you can judge a whole country and look down from a so called "civilized" perspective? I am sure you agree it is much more complicated than the few ideas expressed above. Chances are any of you would also have the bad habits mentioned above, had you been born in Argentina.

I am also pessimistic about where this country is headed. There are many indicators that don't look promising at all. Luckily, change is constant and history has shown us that even greater miracles can happen, so I am keeping all my bets in the land of argentum. One more thing, a huge percentage of Argentineans do not go around screwing everyone up and are quite "civilized" (I hate that term); they are just not that visible. Yet one more thing: war with Chile?? Get real.....

ghost said:
The F-16 is one of the best combat aircraft ever produced and is capable of a true vertical climb. quote]

The F-16 is a strong player in the right hands. In the wrong hands it get's killed pretty quickly. I flew the F/A -18 C Hornet. I didn't have the thrust-to-weight ratio of the F-16 (that means I was relatively heavier). If I could manage my energy well I could defeat the F-16 head-to-head in 1 v 1. If I got in trouble and had altitude I could use my weight to an advantage and go down-hill. Often, the Falcon driver would try to get out by going vertical. I could go vertical too and would hang out and wait for him to top-out and kill him with a Sidewinder.

Along your same point the A/4 would probably be in the top 3 or 4 in history for mission variance, utility, longevity, and ease of maintenance. It's just that the A/4 is an OLD aircraft. The idea of sending it into combat against contemporary aircraft is absurb. The Argies were outmatched during the Falklands/Malvinas war but only by about a generation. Now, there is easily 2 and probably 3 generations between the A/4 and modern combat aircraft (and more importantly their amaments). If the Argies had bombs and missiles that had actually worked during the scuffle they would have done much more damage to the Brits probably to the point of a stalemate.

All in all, the A-4 Skyhawk was my favorite aircraft to fly. I just wouldn't want to go into combat with it.

Spending money in combat aircraft is definitely not the way to bring this country forward.

I love planes
I love reading about planes
I love talking about planes
I love flying virtual planes and even using them to blow virtual shit up.

That said, the last thing Argentina needs are combat aircraft or an upgraded military. It would buy new military jets to use against who?

The country has no enemies. It's one time rival it is now its number 1 trade partner. Chile is now one of its largest foreing investors and trade partners. Argentina is economically integraded with all its neighbours. How can a virtualy bankupt government even begin to justify such acquisitions?

All in all, the A-4 Skyhawk was my favorite aircraft to fly. I just wouldn't want to go into combat with it.

Back in the late 90s all Argentinian A-4s were upgraded with modern sensors and avionics. The all received the same electronics suite as the F-16C.

camberiu said:
Back in the late 90s all Argentinian A-4s were upgraded with modern sensors and avionics. The all received the same electronics suite as the F-16C.

We are decidely off-topic from the OP. :eek:

GS_Dirtboy said:
We are decidely off-topic from the OP. :eek:
Because this is more fun than Being Sad.
Flying an F-18 must be one hell of thrill ride. I defer to your expertise. Didn't know they go vert.

Back