recent customs experiences?

Thanks for the input guys, I was just planning to bring my old camera, a new one, a 2tb hard drive, small stuff but definitely over the $300 allowance. And I really don't want to have to pay for it... :)

I'm planning to bring photography equipment (new DSLR, 2 to 3 lenses, tripod, etc...) in in January. My idea is not to bring it myself but have a friend who visits on a tourist visa bring it as his "hobby" stuff... should work, right?

Just make sure the stuff is out of its boxes, etc. Otherwise they may give him a hard time.

tom borland said:
so since I'm planning on bring some things for a few people here on the board, does anyone have experience entering BA from Montevideo into AEP. My past recollections are that they do the Argentine immigration part in MVD, but do you go through customs there, or at AEP?

My husband came back from Montevideo and was questioned. He was told he could only bring in 300 USD without paying tax, and he had a Bose docking station of 390 USD with him. He acted as if he didn't understand that and they let him pass.

I came in through Ezeiza this morning from Montevideo. I had my customs form filled out and nothing to declare. I shoved my one bag through the machine, nobody asked me for my declaration form, and I walked out and caught a cab home. Go figure.:D

FYI TO ALL

If your laptop computer was made in Japan—for instance—you might have to pay duty on it each time you bring it back into the United States, unless you could prove that you owned it before you left on your trip. Documents that fully describe the item—such as sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's appraisals—are acceptable forms of proof.

To make things easier, you can register certain items with CBP before you depart— including watches, cameras, laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings. Take the items to the nearest CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457). It shows that you had the items with you before leaving the United States and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry. CBP officers must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration. You can also register items with CBP at the international airport from which you’re departing. Keep the certificate for future trips.
spacerclear.gif

This was taken directly from the US Customs and Border Protection website: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/register_items.xml

I plan on going to the airport a bit earlier than I need to try this out. I'm a little worried because I am bringing in a netbook, a DSLR two lenses and a flash, as well as a macbook. The macbook is only a couple of days old and I will be leaving in two weeks, so I really don't want to get hassled for it at the airport. I had no idea you could do this. Has anybody done this before? I am assuming this applies for Argentina as well as it will prove ownership of my electronics. I also saw somethign similar on the Frommer's website:

In Argentina, this is rarely an issue unless you have a lot of electronics. To avoid having to pay duty on foreign-made personal items you owned before you left on your trip, bring along a bill of sale, insurance policy, jeweler's appraisal, or receipts of purchase. Or you can register items that can be readily identified by a permanently affixed serial number or marking -- think laptop computers, cameras, and CD players -- with Customs before you leave. Take the items to the nearest Customs office or register them with Customs at the airport from which you're departing. You'll receive, at no cost, a Certificate of Registration, which allows duty-free entry for the life of the item....................

I guess I could also just bring along receipts for my camera and laptop too. Hmm.

I brought a 46" TV too, made some argie tricks and here we are... PM if u need details.

I was told at duty free in the us that I could take 2L of alcohol into argentina. I walked through customs with at least 10L. No questions. This was a week ago. Also had a brand new ipad and mac book pro, also no questions.

I also went through customs about a week ago. I was not breaking any laws or regulations, so rightly no questions were asked.

I was on a flight from Miami, and it seemed that they were stopping almost anyone who was Argentine. I think they took a glance at me (6'4" and with what others tell me is an "American face" -- whatever that is!), and just thought, "Oh, that's a tourist." Everyone, however, had to place his/her items on the belt to be x-rayed.

I think the game is still the same. They are really looking for people with electronic items. When I was passing by, the women at customs was asking her Argentine prey if he had any "digital cameras" or "laptops." I guess the Argies load up on their electronic gear when they go to Miami for the tour de compras, for good reasons obviously.

Back