reciprocity fee - must pay online

Weird is right! In the article it says that they won't accept cash but then it also says it will "no longer be payable at the airport upon arrival". Do they mean even credit cards will not be payable upon arrival?

I wonder what they plan to do for people that forget to pay it ahead of time? Seems like it's going to cause chaos.

earlyretirement said:
I wonder what they plan to do for people that forget to pay it ahead of time? Seems like it's going to cause chaos.

Those who haven't paid in advance will probably be denied boarding at the point of departure...unless there is an even more sinister plan to milk them of even more dough here.

Brings them inline with the ESTA system for US visitors under the Visa Waiver Program and ETA system for visitors to Australia. Both countries require you to pay before arrival. You can't board a plane to those countries without having paid the fee ahead of time.

I guess it's a slightly more reciprocal reciprocity now :D

This was probably drawn up using the Argentine lawmakers handbook.

Chapter One - The law of unforseen consequences !

I got a visa at Ezeiza in Nov 2011 for US$140 that has a 10-year multiple entry validity. Will I be "grandfathered in", or are old stamps invalidated in this reform process?

solerboy said:
This was probably drawn up using the Argentine lawmakers handbook.

Chapter One - The law of unforseen consequences !

Come on -- there's plenty of opportunities to bash politics in this country, but this is the same path followed by most countries that charge a fee for something like a visa on arrival.

The world will not implode. If you haven't paid the fee, the airline won't board you until you do. Just like going to Australia or the US.

ndcj said:
Come on -- there's plenty of opportunities to bash politics in this country, but this is the same path followed by most countries that charge a fee for something like a visa on arrival.

I think what the critics mean is:

1. Countries of Argentina's socioeconomic tier do not charge $160 to come in.

2. It is perverse to raise prices and generally increase obstacles to tourism during an escalating economic crisis, an environment in which the government is badly starved of foreign hard currency and could really use more tourism, not less.

AlexanderB said:
I think what the critics mean is:

1. Countries of Argentina's socioeconomic tier do not charge $160 to come in.

2. It is perverse to raise prices and generally increase obstacles to tourism during an escalating economic crisis, an environment in which the government is badly starved of foreign hard currency and could really use more tourism, not less.

EXACTLY! Argentina just doesn't get it. And either does anyone that tries to justify these silly decisions.

Before this notice, believe they accepted pesos as payment for the visa thing. Now it will all be foreign ciurrency. It is a stretch, but maybe it is about US,AU and CA dollars?

Back