Recoleta . Zona Liberada - Entraderas

braytrain said:
Aint nothin violent like the states

WOW I've been in Orlando twice and never ever experienced or witnessed anything like this. I even managed to get myself lost in Orlando at night and a random guy that looked like he has been on the street for 3 days in a row came in and gave directions.

I don't think anything like this crime wave we are experienced here in BA would be possible stateside, at least not for this long. And even if it happens SOMETHING will be done about it, be it from the police side, legal system, heck even military will step in if they have to (i.e. Katrina & looting).

The issue here is things are happening, but the government says everything is OK and the Police & the legal system are a joke. Even if they catch the guy who robed and assaulted you he will probably go free and keep on stealing for the guys "upstairs".

And this is NOT from TN, or Clarin or whatever, I do work with military and law enforcement from time to time, and I do have connections. I know the Zona Liberadas is more than just a myth.

Getting back to Recoleta, my husband is having a great "I told you so" moment. I have wanted to move there for years, much closer to our kids' school, but he says we won't be moving to an apartment building that doesn't have 24 hour security. Most of the buildings in this area don't have, but I imagine that shortly they will all start realising that it's better to pay higher expensas and have a security guard than the very real risk of entraderas. It's quite scary, to be honest.

gsi16386 said:
DUDE...did you live off OBT in the hood?? And are your friends all hoodrats, gangstas, and hookers? Because I'll tell you this much, I have family that lives in Orlando and never have I seen that kind of violence.

If you personally are seeing that level of violence in the States on a weekly basis, you and your friends roll with a rough crowd and constantly putting yourselves in a position to experience such violence.

LOL. I was going to say the same thing. I have been to Orlando several times as well as having friends from there. They have NEVER experienced this.

I'm not sure what part of town you live or the type of friends you associate with but this NOT the norm in Orlando or almost any other city in the USA either.

AngelinBA said:
but I imagine that shortly they will all start realising that it's better to pay higher expensas and have a security guard than the very real risk of entraderas. It's quite scary, to be honest.

Some of the robberies of apt buildings i have heard about had security (or a guy at the front desk), and they still got in, either because the security guard wasnt there at the exact time it happened or he was tied up at gun point with the others.

I wouldnt put much faith in a security guard, and if i was in the guards situation, i dont think i would be putting my life on the line for anyones possessions.
Infact - remember a couple of months ago were the american expat was robbed in his apt at gunpoint which had a security guard in the foyer and the robbers got past him. This was a new building in palermo - the guy ended up going to chile after the event because of the experience.

As for me, i would be keeping as low a profile as i can. Act as if you have no money, and live like locals of medium income. So instead of being 1 in 5% (or what ever it is) of the population which are rich in BSAS, you become 1 in the 50% of the population of average income earners in BSAS, which hopefully will decrease your changes of being robbed etc.

AngelinBA said:
Getting back to Recoleta, my husband is having a great "I told you so" moment. I have wanted to move there for years, much closer to our kids' school, but he says we won't be moving to an apartment building that doesn't have 24 hour security. Most of the buildings in this area don't have, but I imagine that shortly they will all start realising that it's better to pay higher expensas and have a security guard than the very real risk of entraderas. It's quite scary, to be honest.

AngelinBA We pay over $700 in expensas for 24 hour security . Giving away the cash and the notebook is not my main concern, but torture, being burnt with a hot iron, or getting shot sort of worries me :eek:

Focusing on Recoleta, and ignoring these permanent " what about the USA " questions. ...:) . For those Expats that may not be aware the national Argentinian passtime is the question "¿Y VOS?"

AngelinBA said:

(Asking nicely) And the security guy is supposed to what, do you think?

Careful with them. Building owners are likely and legally co-responsible for the guy/s, not just the security providing company/employer.

It's a tricky deal. He might be used to gain access to the building, be in it or just the first victim.

davonz said:
As for me, i would be keeping as low a profile as i can. Act as if you have no money, and live like locals of medium income. So instead of being 1 in 5% (or what ever it is) of the population which are rich in BSAS, you become 1 in the 50% of the population of average income earners in BSAS, which hopefully will decrease your changes of being robbed etc.

The majority of the victims robbed in this area were young college students..!
The thieves prefer buildings with short term rentals as opposed to buildings with Owners that know each other for years...:cool:

Rich One said:
For those Expats that may not be aware the national Argentinian passtime is the question "¿Y VOS?"

Heh!... either that or "you don't understand, this how it is in Argentina"

joeteixido said:
Heh!... either that or "you don't understand, this how it is in Argentina"

Maybe I don't understand...? I VOS? :rolleyes:

Iznogud said:
(Asking nicely) And the security guy is supposed to what, do you think?

Careful with them. Building owners are likely and legally co-responsible for the guy/s, not just the security providing company/employer.

It's a tricky deal. He might be used to gain access to the building, be in it or just the first victim.

The security guards where we are now are always the same 4 guys. They know everyone in the building by name, know who comes and goes and they buzz the door open for all occupants of the building. Someone putting the key into the door lock (to make a print of it in soap / wax as these thieves also do) would be a very strange action and one the security guards would definitely notice and take action. Therefore, the likelihood of thieves getting in with a copied key is very small.
Not much to be done if someone does enter forcefully though, I guess. And it didn't stop the "taxiboy" two elderly gentlemen brought home with them from beating one fo them to death and severely injuring the other and walking out past the guards as if nothing had happened.

Back