Recoleta . Zona Liberada - Entraderas

Things like this make me glad that we got out of there when we did. Everything seemed to fall off a cliff after we left.

HGQ2112 said:
Andrew,

You wrote: "I live in Chicago, but be sure to tell me when I have a "real world experience" and am allowed to talk."

Now would be good. Tell me...how safe is my previous home and lovely city? Where do you live? You know...just in general? Zip code? Neighborhood? That's all. Do you deny the crime stats pulled directly from CPD? Have you magically avoided crime there? Hw long have you lived in Chi-Town? See, I am willing to listen...all questions, no statements.

I think you're missing the point. For the record, I've lived in a few different areas - but most recently Lakeview East and Gold Coast.

I'm trying to think of the last "crime" I've heard of in Chicago that happened to someone I know. The only thing I can think of is a friend that had a phone stolen out of her purse on the L. I had a backpack stolen probably four or five years back too - but that one was my fault. But that shit doesn't bother me. I mean it does, but welcome to any big city in the world. It does kind of annoy me that you can't walk down the street in Buenos Aires with a smartphone without making yourself an instant target, but 'tis life.

And I've never had a problem in Buenos Aires, or in Argentina, either. I was a bit worried when I got there, having read all the stories, but I settled into my routine and never had an issue.

The difference is, I've heard a lot of stories. And first hand stories. Two girls I know getting attacked in cabs by the driver. Another girl that had her purse stolen, and then her apartment broken into before she could even do anything about it. Plenty of people being robbed in what you'd consider "safe" areas. And that's just first hand stories from friends. Obviously others here have had the same experience.

The French tourist that was killed in Retiro still bothers me. I've had family and friends come stay in the hotels there. I took pictures all around there to show them the area. Of course I said to avoid the park area at night, but during the morning commute? And over a camera? That's absurd.

I don't doubt the Chicago crime numbers - there are very dangerous parts of the city. But it's never a part of my life. I walk or take transit everywhere, and I've never had a violent experience. Certainly never fear getting in a cab.

If the argument is "Argentina is different than the United States", that's fine. I think it's a legitimate argument. People need to be aware that they're in a different country, and different norms apply. And when you decide to live in any large, urban city, you have to accept some level of petty crime - it's reality. But to equate the level of violence in similar areas between the United States and Argentina is absurd. I spend most of my time in the states in two different cities, and I have since I was a kid. And most of that time in very urban areas. And I've never once had anything happen around me.

I'm not saying it never happens, but certainly with no regularity. I also travel quite often, and have had very few issues anywhere else in the world. Statistics are statistics, but I believe in more of an education and feel test. Educate yourself on areas to avoid, and how comfortable do you feel in your surroundings.

If I have a friend come to Chicago, and I tell them the nice areas to stay in (which is the vast majority of the city you'd actually like to see), they're most likely not going to have a problem. Can you say the same thing about Recoleta? Or Palermo? Or Retiro?

HGQ2112 said:
OK...cause I know this will be fun:

Chicago: Total time lived there: 21 years
Buenos Aires: Never lived there, but business there for 26 years, most visited city in the world for me.
Current Home: Salinas and Guayaquil, Ecuador - 3 years. Where I hear the same constant bs about Guayaquil, that I hear about BA, neither being accurate. Facts are facts. Believing what you want is, for now, a right. Plenty of you Porteros down Montañita way here in Ecuador. Come talk to some of the folks from Guayaquil. They'll tell you Guayaquil is more dangerous than BA...lol. The USA is the only nation that lives under the misguided belief that "life is safe", while the rest of the world lives like they are "under siege". Yet that pesky empirical data tells us different...tells us the truth. Many of you all apparently wouldn't last a week in St. Louis, let alone Chicago, if you think BA is dangerous. I am not being condescending. Swear I am not, but it is funny.

You must not have lived in a lot of countries in the world then. The "misguided" notion that you speak of exists in the UAE, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Singapore, Denmark, Switzerland (for the most part), New Zealand (for the most part), Australia (for the most part).

Oh but I get it, its always easier and more popular to criticize something in the US.

nicoenarg said:
Oh but I get it, its always easier and more popular to criticize something in the US.

Its part of the " Y VOS?" Syndrome, cornerstone of the local idiosyncrasy :D - One should not respond :rolleyes:

Back